Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CuCM & Unity Connection 8.5.1 SU6 Upgrade Question

Greetings all,

Currently in the process of planning out my upgrade from 8.5.1 SU3 to 8.5.1 SU6 on both Unity and CuCM.

In the CUCM side

1 publisher, 3 subs

Cisco Unity Side

1 publisher, 1 sub

I'm trying to plan my timeline, but getting mixed returns on how much time I should plan for each upgrade, has anyone who recently went to SU6 have a approx time per node?

In reading the documentation there appears to be a utils iothrottle enable command which will speed the upgrade up (we are upgrading on offhours).

4 Replies 4

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It all comes down to what hardware this is running on, which you omitted.  Upgrading Pub can take ~2 hours, subs (you can do them all at the same time if you choose) ~1.5 hour. UCXN 1.5 hours each and can run along CUCM upgrade.

HTH,

Chris

Sorry, we are on MCS 7825-I4's (all 6) with:

Processor Speed3000
CPU Type Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E8400  @ 3.00GHz
Memory4096 Mbytes

I thought best practice for upgrades was to get the Pub first, and do the subs 15 minutes apart?

My estimates should apply, where did you see anything about 15 min apart? Probably would not hurt, but not required.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Marcus,

Just thought I would add this reference to the great tips from my buddy Chris (+5)

You can upgrade the Subs in Parallel as Chris noted which will save significant down time

Upgrading a Cluster in Parallel

When you upgrade a cluster that is running a supported version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager 6.x to Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.5(1),  begin upgrading the first node first. You can begin upgrading  subsequent nodes in parallel after the first node reaches a specified  point in the upgrade.

During the upgrade of the first node, view the installation log,  install_log_.log, by using the Software  Installation/Upgrade window in Cisco Unified Communications Operating System Administration  or the command line interface (CLI). You can begin the upgrade of the  subsequent nodes after the following information displays in the log:

PRODUCT_TARGET is

PRODUCT_NAME is

PRODUCT_VERSION is

You can also use the CLI to search for the relevant information in the install log by following this procedure:

Procedure

Step 1 List the install logs; for example:

file list install install_* date

install_log_2008-10-01.09.41.57.log     install_log_2008-10-08.12.59.29.log

install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log     

dir count = 0, file count = 3

Step 2 Search the most recent install log for the string PRODUCT_VERSION; for example:

file search install install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log PRODUCT_VERSION

Searching path: /var/log/install/install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log

Searching file: /var/log/install/install_log_2008-10-14.09.31.06.log

10/14/2008 09:52:14 upgrade_os.sh|PRODUCT_VERSION is 7.1.0.39000-97|<:INFO>

Search completed

Step 3 When the file search command finds the PRODUCT_VERSION string in the install log, you can start the upgrade of the subsequent nodes.

Caution If  you want to upgrade the subsequent nodes in parallel with the first  node, do not choose the Reboot to upgraded partition on either first  node or subsequent nodes while configuring the upgrade options. If  selected, the first node may complete its upgrade and reboot while the  subsequent nodes are upgrading, which causes the upgrade of the  subsequent nodes to fail.

When you are ready to activate the new version, you must activate the  new software on the first node before activating it on all other nodes.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/cucos/8_5_1/cucos/iptpch7.html#wp1076243

Cheers!

Rob

"When it comes to luck you make your own  " 

- Springsteen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: