cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade from 6.1.4 to 8.6.2 on UCS

anupam.tyagi
Level 1
Level 1

Although 6.1.4 on UCS is not supported . I have installed the 6.1.4 and i am planning to upgrade to 8.6.2 on UCS . But i am getting an error

I have checked all the prerequiste for 8.6.2 on UCS and have made it according to the ova template . Even though i am getting an error

This hardware is no longer supported.  Validation error on HSSI mode:

VMware Validation Failure:

Unable to validate VMware based server disk settings. Please check SCSI disks are at least 72 GB in size and are located at 0:0 (and 0:1 in a two disk config) in machine settings. his hardware is no longer supported.  Validation error on HSSI mode:

Any information on this will be appreciated

Thanx

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

As you say, 6.x isn't supported on VMware and while it does 'work' you will often fall foul of hardware checks whilst carrying out maintenance, especially upgrades.

Typically the best way to migrate to UCS is:

1) Upgrade from 6.1 to 8.x on an MCS server. This may be the live server if it supports the new version, or a 'temporary' server with suitable hardware for 6.x and 8.x.

2) Take a DRF backup

3) Restore the backup onto a fresh built identical 8.x version on UCS

Your server may support a 'bridged' upgrade where you can upgrade, take a backup, but not run the CCM service. You would do this and then switch back to 6.1, and then proceed with the UCS installation restoring the backup.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

without going for bridged upgrade , we can upgrade 6.1.4 to 8.6.2 in UCS itself . Theortically , 6.1.4 should be upgraded to 8.6.2 if it meets all the hardware requirement of  8.6.2 on UCS .

Hi

In my experience upgrading to major versions in VMware is very problematic. Each minor version seems to have random restrictions on the upgrade which mean that you might be able to find a path, but it will be through trial and error. The usual upgrade paths as listed on the compatibility docs don't apply.

If you stick to the listed supported hardware, and the listed upgrade paths, then it will work and you can get support from Cisco. If you use unsupported versions on VMware your life will be harder, and you will be largely on your own.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!