cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade from 6.x to 8.x new hardware

jnielsenmn
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to find out the process of upgrading CUCM 6.x to 8.x on new hardware.  I am having a hard time find anything that mentions how to do this.

Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Do I upgrade the current system to 8.x then run DRS

Do I install 6.x on the new server, run DRS then upgrade to 8.x?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

kking2008
Level 1
Level 1

if your old hardware will support 8.x then you have the option of upgrading your old hardware then runing Disaster recovery backup.

load 8.x with the DRS restore on the new hardware.  Then get new licenses (re-host).

However, most of the time the old hardware will not support the new software and you will need to load 6.x (whatever version the DRS backup is from) and then restore then upgrade.  Then licensing again.  If you have multiple servers, then you will need to do the subcribers too.

Depending on your version of 6.x and your desired version of 8.x this may be a mulitple step upgrade.  Check the compatibility guide for what versions upgrade to what.

good luck.

Here's the compatibility matrix for if you have to do a stepped upgrade or if you can do a direct upgrade: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/ccmcompmatr.html.  After checking that out, the release notes for the target versions will contain what servers are supported for an installation.

I was able to install 8.x on the current and run DRS  and restore on the new 8.x Pub.  I did run into an issue with DRS where TAC needed to recreate a couple of ipsec certs for the backup to run.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: