Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade from 7.1(5) to 8.6.2

John Gowen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just looking for some assistance on an upgrade from CUCM 7.1(5) to 8.6.2.

I've a validated UCSS and I've ordered the upgrade on the PUT Tool, so I will have the software feature license for the upgrade. I will also have the correct h/w for the upgrade.

But my question is, can I download the software for the upgrade? the download page details on CCO state that the software is for an upgrade from 8.x only (For upgrade from 8.x+. Upgrades from 6.1(4)+, 7.1(3), 7.1(5) need to be requested via PUT (www.cisco.com/upgrade) or purchased to obtain necessary license)

The reason I ask this question is that this upgrade needs to be expedited as per a Tac Case recommendation and if DVDs of the software are shipped, they won't arrive quick enough.

Thanks,

John

10 Replies 10

John Gowen
Level 1
Level 1

for info I got the answer for this:

The required upgrade (above said CUCM upgrade)  software MUST be ordered & can't be downloaded from CCO site.

For now, the best advise for you would be to approach CAM or Cisco SE to assist you with or to engage you with appropriate team who can assist you in getting the software early.

I think you are fine to download the .iso and do the upgrade.  The reason they say you need to order via PUT when upgrading from 6.x and 7.x is so that you get your software feature license and node licenses.  Upgrading from 8.x does not require a new license.

As far as I know, the only difference between the DVDs and the downloadable files is that the DVDs are bootable.

Wrong, if you're on 7.X and go to 8.X you DO need a new SW feature license for 8.X release.

Also, the non-bootable images you download have within their code a validation feature on which if they don't find you're running a valid release (8.x for above image) you'll get a message it's not a valid upgade.

For this upgrade it's mandatory to order the upgrade kit via PUT.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Yes, that was what I had said, you need the software license from the PUT when upgrading from 6 or 7.

I did not know about the validation in the non-bootable images though.  Was that something new they added in 8.6?  I'm pretty sure I have upgraded from 7.1 to 8.5 using the non-bootable image.  I've never had to use bootable DVDs except for fresh installs.

I seriously hope this part isn't actually the case.

>>Also, the non-bootable images you download have within their code a validation feature on which if they don't find you're running >>a valid release (8.x for above image) you'll get a message it's not a valid upgade.

My experience of the UCSS/PUT process is that it can take weeks, if not months, for upgrade media to ship. If someone at Cisco is reading this, please, please, please reconsider. Customers are already complaining to me about the time it takes to perform upgrades of UC products due to the PUT process. We work well with the Cisco licensing team to get the license upgrades we have paid for without having to wait for the PUT upgrades to arrive. If we can't use the downloadable media for upgrades, I sense a mass revolt coming. And soon.

Barry

All, I should have just looked at the release notes for the version I was upgrading to before asking the question.

You can upgrade between major versions with the upgrade file on the CCO as long as there is a direct upgrade listed in the compatibility matrix and the release notes state it.

The message on the download page is misleading : an upgrade from 8.x only (For upgrade from 8.x+. Upgrades from 6.1(4)+, 7.1(3), 7.1(5) need to be requested via PUT (www.cisco.com/upgrade) or purchased to obtain necessary license)

You only need PUT for license, the release notes state that it will upgrade.

Hi All,

Just coming from a major upgrade for a customer and I tried different combinations of upgrade and everytime for the software itself, however for Lic I would raise a TAC SR and give them the SO (Service Order No) and it was a smooth and fast process.

PUT is a traditional way, if you have the luxory of time, follow it, else TAC and cisco.com are a great resource.

Regards

Hi

I have a very simular problem.

We're upgrading from CUCM 7.1.5 to 8.6.2a(SU2) but the DVD dont allow me to upgrade directly. According to "Systems Integrations" answer its purly a license issue but thats not my experience.

I do a clean install in VMWare 5 with CUCM 7.1.5 and do a restore from the production environment. Then i try to upgrade to 8.6.2a(SU2). The upgrade starts and everything looks just fine but when the upgrade is done and the server reboots it comes up with 7.1.5 and there is no inactive partition. Where did that 8.6.2a(SU2) upgrade go?

Then i try an upgrade with UCSInstall_UCOS_8.6.2.21900-5.sgn.iso and that works just fine. But this isnt the version we're going for.

Now i have 8.6.2.21900-5 as active partition and 7.1.5 as inactive.

Since the production environment is 7.1.5 we want to keep the inactive partiton the same.
We're going to do some testing with 8.6.2a(SU2) in an staging environment and that will obviously take some time and that means the restore will be out dated before we put it into production. This is the reason why we want to keep the inactive partition as 7.1.5, so we can do a fresh restore into that partiton just before we go live and then switch over to 8.6.2a(SU2).

If we upgrade the active partition (now 8.6.2.21900-5) to 8.6.2aSU2 then the inactive partition wont be 7.1.5 anymore but 8.6.2.21900-5.

IS there a way to go directly from 7.1.5 to 8.6.2aSU2?

/Tony

jose.pinto1
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry for asking a question which is somehow out of the topic, but I have currently running a CUCM v. 8.6.1.20000-1 and want to sort some issues by installing the upgrade to the version 8.6.2.21015-1. Where can I download it from Cisco?

Thx

JAVP

Hi,

You can download the ISO from this link:

https://secure-us.esd.cisco.com/files/swc/sec/4_SDSP_695239_1346351844143/1/UCSInstall_UCOS_8.6.2.22900-9.sgn.iso?ip=72.163.9.198&dtrTag=4_SDSP_695239_1346351844143_3caa6131b72f1af98f834a6fc7c3d564&userid=leosalcie&tenant-id=sdsp&__gda__=1360344219_8...

Regards

Please rate all useful posts
Favor calificar todos las respuestas útiles.

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: