cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade from 7.x/8.x to 9.x/ELM

billybjo1
Level 3
Level 3

I'm curious as to experiences of upgrades when moving to ELM in terms of licensing.

Many customers of ours have systems in various states where the userid table/device associations are somewhat chaotic. Over the years many different administrators have not always entered these correctly, not associated devices correctly or at all, and not even created userids for many staff. If they are not EM users or don't make use of the user web login, this was fairly easy to overlook in previous versions.

I know part of moving to 9.x is the need to ensure the system is tidy and accurate beforehand, but this can be a major task.

Has anyone had ELM licensing issues when upgrading systems that might not be well managed?

2 Replies 2

billybjo1
Level 3
Level 3

Different questions...

When I use UCT on a 8.0 system, where there are userids that are associated with EMs, but not their actual hard phones, it seems to interpret that as 2 different licenses. An Enhanced one for the phone and an Essential one for the userid. I'm guessing this is expected for a poorly configured system and would need correcting before upgrading?

A question re ESW/UCSS.

When upgrading from 8.x to 9.x, there seems to be an opportunity to re-asses the licenses and re-distribute DLUs to different licenses. For example:

Assume an 8.0 system with 100 x UCL Enhanced with ESW/UCSS.

Thats 600 DLUs.

We could change that to:

90 x Enhanced = 540 DLUs

+

15 x Basic = 60 DLUs

But how would this be dealt with in ESW/UCSS? As far as I know you can only purchase UCSS (within 90 days) of a new license order. In this case there would be no new licenses, so the ESW/UCSS would then be incorrect.

Have I understood this correctly?

You are right on the spot with UCSS/ESW, even though you may give yourself more user licenses after converting the DLUs you may not want to do that as that will increase the cost of UCSS/ESW. The idea is that these should match, however keep in mind that that portion is not enforced, so it is expected that after upgrades there may be deviation. I would not worry about it.

HTH,

Chris