Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade - How to upgrade iOS and Compact Flash

Anfield01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We're looking to upgrade from 7.1(2b)SU1 to 7.1(5b)SU6 and in order to do so we need to upgrade the iOS on our 3845 and 2851 gateways from 12.4(13r)T to 15.0(1)M. However, in order to do this we need to upgrade the RAM and Compact Flash in each gateway. I have therefore purchased the new RAM and Flash but am a little uncertain on how to go about upgrading them from an iOS perspective. Should I copy the current config from the old 64mb flash card to the new 128mb flash and then upgrade the iOS after that is done or should I put the new iOS on the new flash card first? And what is the best way to copy the config? Is it to just copy and paste it from the old card to my laptop (via card reader) and then on to the new card? Should I format the new card in the router first?

If anyone could give me a step by step guide I would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What I think the same IOS would be still compatible with upgraded call manager version provided u are not going to use new features available in 15.x?

Secondly,follow the steps for configs/IOS uploading

a.u can take backup of your existing configuration using tftp software.

b. switch off the router and insert new DRAM and CF in 2800 router.

c. boot the router to check if they are being detected .use show version command

c. Upload the desired IOS using tftp in 2800 router.

d. upload the backup taken in step a to router.

e. there is a possibility that u get some message regarding the commands which are supported/not supported/changed in new IOS. Also, version mismatch related to config could come. You still copy the configuration

f. bot the router and later on u can check line by line for any change.

regds,

aman

Thanks very much Aman.

Can I just ask, once Ive put the new DRAM and CF in the router and i boot up the router, I presume it will be a blank config and I wont be prompted for a username and password?

Also, will it matter that the boot image on my config will be the old image and not the newer one installed on the router?

Thanks.

Hi,

The configuration would be there in NVRAM of router.

If u have configued boot system flash: old IOS image name that would create a problem.before u take backup of configuration, remove boot system fllash command from startup config.

Better u take two backups to be on safe side : one with boot system flash and other without boot system flash:

Once u have installed new CF, the router would take more time to boot since it would first look for old IOS and then,boot with new image.

running config is stored in DRAM.

regds,

aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: