cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade Not Enough space on Partition

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am stumped! and Frustrated. Full stop. This is 2020 and I am still experiencing this issue for an upgrade in my LAB.

I am trying to upgrade from CUCM 11.0.1SU2 to CUCM 12.5 SU2 and no matter what I do, I keep getting not enough space.

Here is what I have done..

1. reduced the high and low water mark partition

2. Installed the free_space cop file ( My inactive partition is empty--so its all free)

3. Restarted the Cisco Log monitoring Tool service

On RTMT I can actually see that the common partition has enough space and this cli confirms it

++ show diskusage common ++

(25G) Available..

This command can take significantly long time,
and can also effect the system wide IOWAIT on your system.
Continue (y/n)?y
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda6 49G 22G 25G 46% /common
0 /common/drf/scripts
4.0K /common/drf
2.6M /common/moh/SampleAudioSource.ulaw.wav
2.6M /common/moh
4.0K /common/sysctl.conf.append

But the Install logs still show this..

++++

File UCSInstall_UCOS_12.5.1.12900-115.sgn.iso
Start Time Sat May 30 19:23:09 GMT+00:00 2020
Status
Error encountered: There is not enough disk space in the common partition to perform the upgrade. For steps to resolve this condition please refer to the Cisco Unified Communication Manager 10.0 Release Notes or view defect CSCul50066 in Bug Toolkit on cisco.com

+++

++ excerpt of log file ++

05/30/2020 19:32:29 refresh_upgrade|Upgrade from 11.0.1.22900-14 allowed|<LVL::Info>
05/30/2020 19:32:29 refresh_upgrade|Validate free space for the upgrade|<LVL::Info>
05/30/2020 19:32:29 refresh_upgrade|Calculating Free Space|<LVL::Info>
05/30/2020 19:32:29 refresh_upgrade|Location: /common|<LVL::Info>
05/30/2020 19:32:29 refresh_upgrade|Type: free_partition_space|<LVL::Info>
05/30/2020 19:32:29 refresh_upgrade|Size: 22298173440|<LVL::Info>

--

05/30/2020 19:32:43 refresh_upgrade|(CAPTURE) Free space: 22321705464, Needed space: 24136400653|<LVL::Debug>

So where do I go from here guys? Cisco can be so frustrating sometimes. May be I should change career..I hear Microsoft Skype for business and MS Teams help you age a little better...

Please rate all useful posts
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here a few different things to try.

Remove all trace files from RTMT by downloading and selecting remove after download.

Remove any unused firmware loads from OS admin.

Run these commands to remove files.

file delete inactivelog cm/trace/*/*/*/* noconfirm

file delete inactivelog cm/trace/*/*/* noconfirm

file delete inactivelog cm/trace/*/* noconfirm

file delete inactivelog cm/trace/* noconfirm

file delete activelog cm/trace/*/*/*/* noconfirm

file delete activelog cm/trace/*/*/* noconfirm

file delete activelog cm/trace/*/* noconfirm

file delete activelog cm/trace/* noconfirm

Try to install from a mounted ISO as a DVD, this free up space that the ISO otherwise would take on the common partition after download.

Response Signature

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Here a few different things to try.

Remove all trace files from RTMT by downloading and selecting remove after download.

Remove any unused firmware loads from OS admin.

Run these commands to remove files.

file delete inactivelog cm/trace/*/*/*/* noconfirm

file delete inactivelog cm/trace/*/*/* noconfirm

file delete inactivelog cm/trace/*/* noconfirm

file delete inactivelog cm/trace/* noconfirm

file delete activelog cm/trace/*/*/*/* noconfirm

file delete activelog cm/trace/*/*/* noconfirm

file delete activelog cm/trace/*/* noconfirm

file delete activelog cm/trace/* noconfirm

Try to install from a mounted ISO as a DVD, this free up space that the ISO otherwise would take on the common partition after download.

Response Signature

what do you mean by try to install rom mounted ISO as DVD? which ISO are you mentioning here. can you please mention it clearly. 

Im now facing 100% active partition situation in IMP subscriber server. and some services are not running properly and imp database replication is not showing properly.

So in IMP server we need to do in this situation?

In VMware you can mount the ISO file for the upgrade by either referenced on a ESXi data storage or via the VMs vshpere console on the local client computer. With this the upgrade file would not take up space on the VMs storage itself.

Response Signature

Are you trying to upgrade or trying to free up the space ??

Response Signature

im trying for free space and then i need to upgrade..

The solution worked for me.

I had a cm 11.5 SU9 and was trying to upgrade to 12.5 SU4.

Thank you.

When we upgraded to 12.5 last year we also ran in to issues with free space. Especially if we did upgrade from older disk layout with 2x80GB. For those we resized disk 2 to 110GB. We also worked with TAC to get their recommendations on how much free space that is best practice. According to them 32GB is advisable.

Response Signature

Roger,

Thank you. Mounting as ISO solved this for me. I think I finally figure out what is going on and why TAC recommended 32GB space ( Thanks to your thought as well)

Imagine in my case I had 25GB free in my common partition ( from my "show diskusage common") output.

When CUCM tries to upgrade, it then copies another 4.2GB of file into common partition, which then reduces the partition size. So erroneously I assumed I had 25GB but once the upgrade files are copied over, I no longer have that. This is why mounting as ISO works like you mentioned, since the files are not copied to I still had my 25GB free..Thanks Roger and hopefully we will help others much more..

Please rate all useful posts

Your welcome Deij. That is exactly the explanation that TAC gave me.

Response Signature

Hi Roger,

I am trying to upgrade CUCM 11.5 to 12.5 and running out of space. Deleted logs from RTMT and CLI, unused phone loads but still need another 2GB.

Can you please advise how you resized disk to from 80GB to 110GB ?

I used these steps.

• Close down the CM from CLI
  • In vcenter open settings for the VM and change the allocated space for disc 2 from 80 to 110
  • Start the VM, it will now run a prebuilt script to expand the partition 

There not more to it than that. Other than this the discussed use of a mounted ISO as a DVD is your friend in out of space situations as that frees up the space used by upgrade file that is otherwise stored temporarily on the disc and as such uses the scares space there is.

Response Signature

stevenlandon
Level 1
Level 1

I would use Prime Colab Deployment and just use a new cluster as your target. Nice and clean.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: