Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade question

Hi guys. I have  question  , Cisco guide says “All servers in a cluster must run the same release of Cisco Unified Communications Manager. The only exception is during a cluster software upgrade, during which a temporary mismatch is allowed.”  

We have UCS –c-220 at site A (Publisher), UCS-C220 at site B (Subscriber), site C (Subscriber), they all connected via p2p and mpls links . I am not strong with servers and  confused a little bit: Is it considered separate cluster at site A, separate cluster at site B and separate cluster at site C  in my case ?  OR its 1 cluster connected via wan?  If its 1 cluster I will need to upgrade CUCM/CUC/IM&P  from 10.5 to 11.5   in 3 sites altogether, if not then can schedule separate days .

Thank you

8 Replies 8

Robert Shaw
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

We have just gone through a similar upgrade only with two sites.  The cluster is the collection of servers, so all sites together.  In your case the Publisher and two Subscribers.

We upgraded CUC first, Subscribers and then Publisher.  This can be done on separate days but you must do the Subscriber first.

Then I would suggest you do IM&P, again Subscriber then Publisher again on different days.

Then CUCM in the same order.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Rob

This document says different sequence , first publisher then subscribers... https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/11_5_1/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-cucm-115/cucm_b_upgrade-guide-cucm-115_chapter_010010.html

When you are planning to perform an upgrade using either the Unified CM OS Admin interface or the PCD upgrade task, you must ensure that your plan takes the following sequencing rules into account.

• The Cisco Unified Communications Manager publisher node must be the first node that you upgrade. The new software is installed as an inactive version.

You can begin upgrading Cisco Unified Communications Manager subscriber nodes as soon as the publisher node has been upgraded with an inactive version of the new software.

• You must switch the Cisco Unified Communications Manager publisher node to the new software version and reboot it before you switch the version on any subscriber nodes. The publisher node must be the first node to switch to the new software version and reboot.

• If you upgrade a group of subscriber nodes, after you switch the software version and reboot, you must wait for database replication to complete on all subscriber nodes before proceeding.

• Thank you anyway Robert for response.

Rajan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Bekzod,

Its still one cluster connected over wan and you need to schedule upgrade for all the servers on the same day one by one starting with publisher first followed by tftp servers if any and subscriber as you need to reboot all servers after the upgrade for them to be in the same version.

HTH

Rajan

Pls rate all useful posts

Rajan, as written here : "All servers in a cluster must run the same release of Cisco Unified Communications Manager. The only exception is during a cluster software upgrade, during which a temporary mismatch is allowed.

If you are installing IM and Presence nodes, the software version of the first IM and Presence node (the IM and Presence database publisher node) must match the first three numbers of the software version installed on the Unified Communications Manager publisher node. For example, IM and Presence Service software version 11.0.1.10000-1 is compatible with Cisco Unified Communications Manager software version 11.0.1.30000-2.

After you install the first IM and Presence node, the software version of any IM and Presence subscriber nodes that you install must match all five version numbers of the first IM and Presence node.For example, if the IM and Presence database publisher node is at version 11.5.1.10000-1, then all IM and Presence subscriber nodes must also be 11.5.1.10000-1. 

I must upgrade IM&P together with CUCM at the same day ?? wholly molly, it will take whole night :( . What about CUC , can i do them another days ? 

Is upgrade from 10.5 to 11.5 considered standard or refresh ?  

Thank you 

Hi Bekzod,

Its a direct upgrade only not a complex one. In that case, you can upgrade servers one by one without switching version. During upgrade it will give an option like " switch version and reboot". Do not select that option so that the upgrade gets completed in teh background and the upgraded version is in the inactive partition. when you are ready you just need to switch version and reboot all servers one by one in the specified order which wont take much time.

HTH

Rajan

what about CUC, can i schedule upgrade of CUC for another day or it must be upgraded together with CUCM ? 

Hi Bekzod,

like i said your existing version if above 8.5 is compatible with CUCM 11.5, so you can do it any time.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/compatibility/matrix/b_cucclientmtx.html

Supported Version Combinations for Unity Connection and Cisco Unified Communications Manager

Table 17 Supported Version Combinations for Unity Connection and Cisco Unified Communications Manager
Cisco Unity Connection Cisco Unified Communications Manager
8.5 and Later

11.5(1), 11.0(1), 10.5(2), 10.5(1), 10.0(1), 9.1(2), 9.1(1), 9.0(1), 8.6(2), 8.6(1), 8.5(1)

JB

Jitender Bhandari
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Bakzod,

So its one cluster, it fails into clustering over wan. check the link below to find out requirements for CoW model.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/collab11/collab11/models.html#13629

from IM&P the requirement the version go hand to hand, so see the compatibility requirements see below link.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/11_x/cucm_b_cucm-imp-compatibility-matrix-11x.html

Unity is not an issue from compatibility perspective so it would be fine if you run current version or upgrade it to latest.

(Rate if it helps)

JB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: