Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade Tasks

JustForVoice_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have to upgrade CUCM 7.0 cluster, it is a minor (upgrade to 7.1.5). but I have the following questions:

As per my knowledge, I have to upgrade the Publisher, then the subscribers.

1. What is the meaning of upgrading the publisher first? Does it mean I have to install the upgrade file, switch version and reboot the publisher first? Then upgrade the subscribers?

2. OR I have to upgrade the publisher without switching the version and reboot?

3. Is there any order for upgrading the subscribers?

4. What I can do to minimize the downtime?

5. It is recommended to back-up the system first, and disable extension mobility service before the upgrade, is there anything else before inserting the upgrade DVD?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can do in your case.

Do take backup prior to upgrading to new version.

While doing upgrade , u would get two options somewhat like below

a. switch to active version after upgrade

b. do not switch to active partition after upgrade

you select the option b.

after all the servers are switched to new version, do check dbreplication using utils dbreplication runtimestate from CLI.

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi ,

to answer your queries

a. u need to upgrade the publisher first.Once the up gradation is going on , you can switch the phones to register with subscribers in a cluster.

b. after the Pub is upgraded , you can switch version to new upgraded version and can  register 2-3 phones to Pub by creating new CUCM test group .

c. there is no such order of upgrading subscribers.

d. to reduce the downtime, you can do Parallel upgrade . You can refer SRND.

e. the media u have downloaded , verify the checksum.

regds,

aman

Thank you for your support.

In the deployment all of the phones are registered with Subscribers. The publisher is not used for call processing.

What about the upgrade for a CUCMs in RDC site, it is remote site and it is not easy to upgrade the hole cluster in the same day.

Hi,

During the time when Subscriber is being upgraded, you can register your IP phones at RDC site  to Publisher.

regds,

aman

Can I install the upgrade on the other partition during the working hours? without switching the version or reboot the server.

Once I installed on all servers in the cluster, after working hours I will switch the version on the publisher first and reload it; then test the registration for some phones. if it is OK then I will switch the version and reload the subscribers.

In this case all what I need is 1 hour only as a maintenance window. and for DRC I can witch the version and reboot remotely, because the upgrade is installed before.

Yes, you can do in your case.

Do take backup prior to upgrading to new version.

While doing upgrade , u would get two options somewhat like below

a. switch to active version after upgrade

b. do not switch to active partition after upgrade

you select the option b.

after all the servers are switched to new version, do check dbreplication using utils dbreplication runtimestate from CLI.

regds,

aman