Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade to 10.5 licenses

Hi guys. We have cucm 10.5 but Cisco  license support rep found out the licenses still on 9.x . On Prime server I can see Enhanced still 9.x,  Enh (10.x), Enh+(10.x) and Basic(10.x) shows 0.  

I am confused if licenses were not upgraded how its possible  they have service for 2 years ? Can anyone share steps to upgrade licenses ? Is it service uninterruptible? Does it require to upgrade CUP and CUC license upgrade ?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Based on your phone/user configuration in CUCM you need 277 Enh Plus + 290 Enhanced + 7 Basic licenses, your 500 CUWL licenses are used to cover these (as higher tier can be borrowed), leaving you short 89+7. There is 500 Enhanced 9.0 licenses installed, but these cannot be used until you get them upgraded to 10.X. Alternatively CUWL license allows up to 10 devices per license, so you may want to review your user assignment to devices and for users with multiple devices you might be able to consolidate some licenses. For example userA owns 3 devices (desk phone, CSF and IPC device), if you assign userA to all 3 devices only single CUWL license will be pulled instead of 3 Enhanced. 

I don't know Chris, but we have 8K+ coworkers here, so I don't know most of them :-)

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to request upgrade to version 10.5 via PUT, which should provide you proper PAK for your version:

http://upgrad.cloudapps.cisco.com/upgrad/jsp/index.jsp

Depending on what you get you may need to contact licensing@cisco.com as well.

As I understand I should not lose any features or  licenses after upgrade, right ? 
will  it require to upgrade CUP and CUC license too ?

Thank you

Not sure I fully understand the issue here, are you upgrading ELM server to PLM or just need to upgrade your licenses managed by PLM?

If upgrading ELM to PLM you will not lose anything as version 9 applications can still be managed by PLM licensing server.

just need to upgrade your licenses managed by PLM?

So, you have PLM server that only has 9.X CUCM licenses, yet you are running CUCM 10.5?  Can you make sure you are looking at the correct PLM server, simply login to CUCM and under System go to Licensing where you will have a link to PLM server used  by the CUCM. Is it the same PLM server you have been looking at?

ok, now i see what is my mistake : we have CUWL type its 10.x . I just read about CUWL/UCL types a little bit clear now.  But why cisco rep suggecsted to upgrade Enh from 9 to 10.5 if we are in CUWL 10 .x ?? Will those upgraded Enh add additional lic-s ? Can Prime/CUCM utilize both CUWL and ENh licenses ? 

(As more I am digging more questions :D  . But I like it that's why moved from network level to app level :) ) 

Yes, combination of any CUCM licenses can be used, i.e. CUWL Pro, CUWL Standard, Enhanced Plus, Enhanced, Basic, Essential. So, if you have some older licenses and you want them to be usable get them upgraded via PUT process.

HTH, please rate all useful posts.

Chris

I attached print screen , would u mind to take a look please ? As I understand u correctly if we upgrade those Enhanced(9.x) to 10.x we will have additional 500 licenses ? 

By the way do u know Chriz Zdurski Acc manager at CDW ? I worked with him close for 2 years :) ? 

Thank you

Based on your phone/user configuration in CUCM you need 277 Enh Plus + 290 Enhanced + 7 Basic licenses, your 500 CUWL licenses are used to cover these (as higher tier can be borrowed), leaving you short 89+7. There is 500 Enhanced 9.0 licenses installed, but these cannot be used until you get them upgraded to 10.X. Alternatively CUWL license allows up to 10 devices per license, so you may want to review your user assignment to devices and for users with multiple devices you might be able to consolidate some licenses. For example userA owns 3 devices (desk phone, CSF and IPC device), if you assign userA to all 3 devices only single CUWL license will be pulled instead of 3 Enhanced. 

I don't know Chris, but we have 8K+ coworkers here, so I don't know most of them :-)

wow , that was awesome explanation, u the best . Thank you Chris . Have a good day .  

You're welcome, and thank you for nice rating.

Hi Chris . Can you please clarify this : 

I am trying to get Demo licenses for telepresence room and test with  demo . I generated Demo and see they are coming  in package :20 CUWL Pro UCM, 20 CUWL Pro Unity connection and 5 TP room lics .   

Before to install this Demo lics I'd like to be sure that I will not over-write existing lics on my CUCM :),  its production enterprise network . I guess it would simply add to the license count you already have, but I'm not 100% sure...

Do you know will demo package change/modify/over-write existing licenses ? 

Thank you

just clarified with cisco tech, permanent lics will not be affected :) . after 180 days demo lics will be automatically removed from system. 

Correct, you never really over write previous licenses as you just keep on adding to it. If you add temp licenses those have expiration date and as confirmed by Cisco they will expire on the expiration date.