cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCME/CUE: Distinguish between call direct to extension vs. call from hunt group

chris.berry.1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is there a way to distinguish on a phone, an incoming call direct to an extension vs. incoming call from a blast hunt group?

Users want to be able to look at their phone and somehow know if the phone is ringing with a call to their extension vs. a call to a hunt group that they are a member of. The hunt groups are all parallel/blast so not able to use ephone-hunt, instead using voice hunt-group.

The setup is that the auto attendant allows direct dial and then also options for various departments. Department members want to know if their phone is ringing for them specifically or if their phone is ringing because a call has come in for the department hunt group.

One thought I had was to not use hunt groups and instead create an octo-line ephone-dn to emulate a hunt-group, with each of these dept. octo-line ephone-dn being assigned to a button on each dept. member's phone. This way the button flashing is distinguished from a "regular" call to the user's extension, and if the user chooses, they could assign a unique ring tone to this dept. octo-line ephone-dn.

I understand the limitation here would be that only 8 calls can be in progress on each octo-line ephone-dn, whereas using hunt groups as intended, there is no 8 call limit as each member's personal extension is being used for the call.

Thank you for thoughts and input, they are greatly appreciated.

-Chris                 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The best way is to use multi-button phones. Another possibility is to use custom TCL/IVR scripting.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The best way is to use multi-button phones. Another possibility is to use custom TCL/IVR scripting.

Hi Paolo,

So you are validating my above thought re: using octo-line ephone-dns as dedicated buttons on each dept. member phone to accomplish the goal? With this scenario the auto attendant dept. options would direct calls to the extension of each dept. octo-line ephone-dn.? Am I correct in that there will be an 8 call limit?

Assuming this was what you were speaking about, is it the best way to accomodate the request?

I have done very light reading on TCL/IVR scripting but I am not familiar or versed. Would this be the only way to implement a more scalable solution (removing the octo-line 8 call limit)?

Regards,

Chris

If you have an voice hunt-group sending calls to different, there is no limit to the number of calls that can be taken this way.

Note that parallel hunt groups are poor way of ansering the phone (even if your customer thinks otherwise), because it removes responsabilit from the individual whose pohone is ringing, asit happens with normal hunt with loging/logout.

Understood on the point of no 8 call limit while using voice hunt-group.

If I go the route of using a dedicated octo-line ephone-dn for each dept. there will be an 8 call limit for each department (octo dn), correct? That is how I understand it but I would like verification.

When you said above to use multi-button phones, are you agreeing with my original idea of using a separate octo ephone-dn to represent each dept., as opposed to using a hunt group? That is, put departmental dn on each person in a given departments phone (and send calls from AA to various dept.'s via calling these octo dn's)?

You mentioned using TCL/IVR. Can either of those be implemented on CUCME/CUE installations? If feasible, could you please provide further guidance or information on these options as it relates to the request? Are these more or less the only other solutions that could meet the requirements?

Kind regards,

Chris

There are many different ways to answering answering, ultimately it's up to you to find one that works for the customer. However, if you expect more than 8 simultaneous calls to a department number, or even quite less than that, a shared line is certainly not the right way to answer, for the reason exposed above. Consider, that manager would have no way of knowing how many people are available to take calls, while that is possible with ephone-hunt and login/logout.

As long you have enough buttons on the phone you don't need TCL/IVR to distinguish for who the call has been made.

This setup is not typical or ideal. It is understood this will not scale but within the confines of the requirements, was looking for best implementation path. Thank you for your assistance and input, very much appreciated.

Thank you for the nice rating and good luck!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: