Views
Helpful
Replies

CUWL Standard Question

yun zhang
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

I am facing a problem, A customer would like to build a CUCM cluster for 500 jabber phone and 20 third-party brand SIP phone  to replaced their existing PABX, for license that I found document from cisco that the CULW standard and pro support 10 devices

My question is how many licenses to purchase ? 

Option 1 As my understanding the  CUWL * 52 standard license can support 500 jabber phone and 20 hard phone , because 520 device can associated 52 user in owner user ID filed under device configuration ? Am I right ? 

Option 2 

purchase 520 UCL enhanced licenses  for these users?

Any conflict or problems with choose the option 2 ?

Thanks in advance 

ZY

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

It is really important to understand how you are going to provision/associate these phones to users.

For example, you will be able to register all of your 520 devices if you purchase 52CUWL licenses for 52 users however, I am pretty sure that at the end of your project you will not have just 52 users but more. Given that, you will have to realize who will be the actual users (that may have associated 4-10 devices via CUWL) and the rest of the devices can be associated to other users via Enhanced or Enhanced Plus.

Hope this helps,

George

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

View solution in original post

While there is nothing stopping you from having 52 generic users with 10 devices each, the intent of this licensing model is 1 UCL or UWL PER active user, whether they are using 1 or 10 devices.  So if you have 500 jabber users and 20 desk phones with no overlap, or 520 actual users each using a single device, The proper(ethically) licences would be to purchase a quantity of 520, whether UWL or UCL.  UCL does not contain voicemail licenses, so if you planned on using unity connection, I would stick with CUWL Standard

I agree with Mike

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

5 Replies 5

George Sotiropoulos
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

It is really important to understand how you are going to provision/associate these phones to users.

For example, you will be able to register all of your 520 devices if you purchase 52CUWL licenses for 52 users however, I am pretty sure that at the end of your project you will not have just 52 users but more. Given that, you will have to realize who will be the actual users (that may have associated 4-10 devices via CUWL) and the rest of the devices can be associated to other users via Enhanced or Enhanced Plus.

Hope this helps,

George

Hi George 

Thanks for your quick reply for my query . and are you sure that option 1 is workable for this project, Actually I means that one CUWL standard license used for 10 different device with one owner user id under device configuration under CUCM (the 10 devices with the different of name, DN and CSS), it's workable? no any other configuration conflict with other features ? no limited with different phone type or third-party IP phone ?   The other meaning is that I  don't understand , the price  is is similar of CUWL STD  and UCL enhanced . Why cisco do that , Everyone would choose to use CUWL because it's cheaper than using UCL enhanced. the customer need more cost if they choose UCL enhanced license?

Zy

While there is nothing stopping you from having 52 generic users with 10 devices each, the intent of this licensing model is 1 UCL or UWL PER active user, whether they are using 1 or 10 devices.  So if you have 500 jabber users and 20 desk phones with no overlap, or 520 actual users each using a single device, The proper(ethically) licences would be to purchase a quantity of 520, whether UWL or UCL.  UCL does not contain voicemail licenses, so if you planned on using unity connection, I would stick with CUWL Standard

I agree with Mike

Thanks Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: