Views
Helpful
Replies

Delete inactive partition in UC appliances

rahaman.abdoul
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I notice that each time I do an upgrade with CUCM or Cisco Unity Connection in VMWare, I double My VM disk. Is there a way to delete the inactive partition?

Is it possible with "root' account?

thanks a lot

Rahaman

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You cannot delete the inactive partition; however, the virtual machine cannot grow beyond the limits of the vDisks that the OVA template created. The product is designed this way to give you an easy rollback plan should something go wrong. At each upgrade the installer formats the current inactive partition (A or B) and performs the install to that. The switch version process then marks that partition as active in Grub and restarts.

Hello Jonathan,

ok.  I'm really surprised that's it's not possible with linux to delete this inactive partition, login as root.

thanks a lot

Rahaman

You cannot login as root or get bash access. It's an sealed appliance, not a Linux server from your perspective.

Even if you do figure out the way around this restriction, you'll break the server permanently from all future upgrades by messing with the partition tables.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: