cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deleting Expired CAPF certs is causing around 75% of phones to reset

UrbanPeasant
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working through deleting around 20 old CAPF certs (all -trust) from the Pub in CUCM 10.5.2 cluster I work on, and something is giving me pause for thought.

I regenerated certs across the cluster last October, CM, TVS, Tomcat, IPSec, and CAPF.

I noted the old CAPF cert on my phone's ITL first, and tried to figure out why all the Subs had had CAPF created on them instead of just on the Pub. I drew a blank on that. I don't actually know why CAPF is enabled at all as we don't (and it seems never have) run a secure cluster, as such we don't use CTL on the phones. My understanding is that I can in fact turn the CAPF and CTL Provider Security Services off in the Feature Services list on the Publisher (having read Jonathan Schulenberg's posts on this forum). But I've not plucked up the courage for doing that just yet.

What I have noticed though is that as I delete old CAPF-trust certs from the Pub, I get the unexpected behaviour of the phone resets (see images - removing CAPF-b542db29 caused the 73% drop). The first time I did this I did it during business hours expecting it to be a safe exercise, and got a 66% drop in registered devices from RTMT! I saw the spare phone on my desk reset, and that gave me the shakes, and wrote the rest of my afternoon off!

Not all the CAPF-trust certs cause this behaviour - some cause no resets, and some cause a 10% reset. 

I regenerated the 'live' CAPF cert on the Pub in October 2017, along with other certs throughout the cluster, and all the relevant services were restarted back then (TVS, Tomcat, DRF). The ITL file on my phone was updated accordingly and everything seemed fine.

I'm hoping someone can explain what is going on presently; why the resets?

And can I safely take the leap and turn the CTL Provider and CAPF services off on the Pub, and delete the current CAPF certificate, and have done with it once-and-for-all?

I've yet to start working through the certificate stores on the other cluster members, but I hope it doesn't cause the same behaviour...

Thanks in advance.

Nathan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

UrbanPeasant
Level 1
Level 1
I just spotted the post from Ayodeji, which appears to be the same thing:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony/deleting-cucm-9-1-expired-capf-cert/m-p/3095754#M349660

Hitting bug CSCut58407 - so I guess I'll continue to do the deletions out of hours.

So the last part of my post is about turning CTL Provider and CAPF off on the Pub. Is this a sensible thing to do/should I do it as the cluster isn't using CTL?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

UrbanPeasant
Level 1
Level 1
I just spotted the post from Ayodeji, which appears to be the same thing:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/ip-telephony/deleting-cucm-9-1-expired-capf-cert/m-p/3095754#M349660

Hitting bug CSCut58407 - so I guess I'll continue to do the deletions out of hours.

So the last part of my post is about turning CTL Provider and CAPF off on the Pub. Is this a sensible thing to do/should I do it as the cluster isn't using CTL?

Did you even work up the courage to turn CTL Provider and CAPF off on the Pub?

i ran into this bug this week and ran across your post.

Hi Esto,

I'd forgotten all about this thread. One thing must have led to another, and then....no memory!

I just checked back with my Publisher and the CTL Provider service is still running, so I guess I never plucked up courage to see what would happen if I turned it off. But now you've just brought it back to my attention I'm going to look into it again, just as soon as I've finished dealing with our current device licensing tidy-up.

Best

Nathan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: