cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Demo a Cisco IP Phone ?

dkraut
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, hope I'm posting in the most appropriate place.  I am trying to find out if there is a way we can demo an IP Phone in our environment.  Actually, all I really need to demo is the ability of a Cisco IP Phone to connect remotely to an ASA 5510 and remain connected dependably (We have a lot of remote SOHO users).  We're currently having all kinds of issues with "Brand X" (non-Cisco VoIP system) and I believe upper management is finally ready to take a serious look at replacing "Brand X" with with Cisco.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Current generation phones have the AnyConnect SSL VPN client embedded in their firmware so it is possible for a phone to connect to an ASA. I have a 7975 sitting on my desk at home and it works quite well as long as my Internet connection is stable and not congested.

You would need a demo enviroment to connect with though and, to my knowledge, there are no public ones.  Reach out to a Cisco partner or your Cisco AM for assistance here.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

Also take into account the service is only going to be as dependable as the Internet connection. 

As Jonathan stated, your Cisco AM should have a couple of "showcase" clients where they take prospects to let them see the system in action in a real world setting.  When I was on the customer side of the fence  My Cisco AM would bring 1-2 customers per month by to look at what I was doing with VoIP over VPN using the public Internet.  Mind you this was 13 years ago.  Not so cutting edge now.

I have personally seen the IP Phone/ASA comnination stayed nailed up for weeks at a time using cable Internet.  The only issues I have ever seen once this is configured properly is the Internet conenction dropping.  Nothing you can do about that though.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Current generation phones have the AnyConnect SSL VPN client embedded in their firmware so it is possible for a phone to connect to an ASA. I have a 7975 sitting on my desk at home and it works quite well as long as my Internet connection is stable and not congested.

You would need a demo enviroment to connect with though and, to my knowledge, there are no public ones.  Reach out to a Cisco partner or your Cisco AM for assistance here.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Also take into account the service is only going to be as dependable as the Internet connection. 

As Jonathan stated, your Cisco AM should have a couple of "showcase" clients where they take prospects to let them see the system in action in a real world setting.  When I was on the customer side of the fence  My Cisco AM would bring 1-2 customers per month by to look at what I was doing with VoIP over VPN using the public Internet.  Mind you this was 13 years ago.  Not so cutting edge now.

I have personally seen the IP Phone/ASA comnination stayed nailed up for weeks at a time using cable Internet.  The only issues I have ever seen once this is configured properly is the Internet conenction dropping.  Nothing you can do about that though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: