Views
Helpful
Replies

Deploy CUCM 8.5 virtual machine in Vmware 6.5 for upgrade

edson_guevara14
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I've just stumbled into something, i am trying to perform an upgrade to a 8.5 CUCM to versión 11.5, for this i'm using the backup/restore method (backup producción 8.5 CUCM and re-build cluster in new hardware and then upgrade that one).

My new hardware has a 6.5 VMware managed via vCenter, i tried downloading every ova available at cisco.com without success (i can deploy a 11.5 ova without problems) my question is: is there a ova template out that has support for vmware 6.5?

And if not, what is the supported way to build a VM for CUCM 8.5 in that vmware version?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give me,

Regards,

Edson

4 Replies 4

R0g22
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
You would need to upgrade the CUCM to 11.5 first before upgrading the ESXi version. 8.5 is EoLDS so I doubt you would find OVA for that. Even if you would, it does not support ESXi 6.5
So, if you are moving hardware, upgrade your CUCM to 11.5 on the old hardware. Then do a DRS to a ESXi 6.5 CUCM 11.5. If you wish to, you can use PCD to deploy the new cluster for you/migrate.

Sadly, i can't upgrade the one in production its an old mcs server that doesn't support 11.5
So i guess the only option is to use another ESXi to upgrade to 11.5 and then DRS to the 6.5 Vmware

Regards,
Edson

Gregory Brunn
Spotlight
Spotlight

Your not going to find a 8.X ova imagine. You could build one that matches in non production or lab and then upgrade it. You will have to do a back up and restore of it again as your partitions will not line up. You also couldn’t do this in 6.5

If it where me I would be looking at if PCD do (check PCD guide for p to v migration path) this or just a fresh install depending on other factors.

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

The best way is to use PCD. I always use PCD when going from MCS (physical) to UCS (virtual)

JH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: