Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Mobility Calling Search Space

mcibanez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I was troubleshooting an issue with CUCM and after removing the CSS from the line and the device, the ip phone was still able to amke calls.

By chance, I found out that the CSS that was responsible for this, was one that was defined in the Device Pool: Device Mobility Calling Search Space

I had a look at the documentation and it says:

Choose the appropriate calling search space to be used as the device  calling search space when the device is roaming and in same device  mobility group.

Device Mobility Related Settings

The parameters under these settings will override the device-level settings only when the device is

roaming within a Device Mobility Group. The parameters included in these settings are:

• Device Mobility Calling Search Space

• AAR Calling Search Space

• AAR Group

• Calling Party Transformation CSS

• Called Party Transformation CSS

The device mobility related settings affect the dial plan because the calling search space dictates the

patterns that can be dialed or the devices that can be reached.

I had a look at this doc also (https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-19600) and my devices are not roaming, I'm using desk phones, device mobility is off, no physical locations configured, no device mobility groups...

My question is: is this CSS working as designed or is it a CSS that is used as 'last resort'?

I can find no reason why this CSS is applying to my device...

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Carmen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I've also confirmed that this happens in CUCM 4.3(2) all the way up to 9.0(1).  Only when the device level CSS is not configured (set to ) will the device mobilitiy CSS be applied.  This is working as designed, even though I agree it was unexpected.  The device mobility CSS does not overwrite or concatinate with the device level CSS if there is one configured.  The logic behind this is similar to the location settings, it can be configured on the device as well as the device pool.  If there is nothing set on the device the device pool setting takes effect. 

I've filed a documentation defect to document this behavior to hopefully avoid confusion in the furture (CSCuc79185).

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My understanding is the same as yours that the CSS from DP should only be used when Device Mobility is On, the device is roaming within the same device mobility group. 

How did you figure it was using the CSS from the DP?  What do you see when you click on the "View Current Device Mobility Settings" hyperlink?

Perhaps there is another CSS assigned to the DN?

Chris

Hi Chris,

I found out that the CSS in use was that one purely by chance. I couldn't imagine why my configuration didn't work, moreover when I had removed the line and device CSSs, and then customer told me to have a look at the Device Pool settings. I thought it was a nonsense, and that nothing in the DP could affect the call routing, but I decided to give it a try as I couldn't think of anything else. To my surprise, when I removed that CSS it worked as I wanted...

Just in case the customer's CUCM had anything else that I hadn't checked, I've recreated the issue in my lab using a clean CUCM running another version (8.6.2a vs 7.1.5) and the result was the same, so I'm pretty sure there's no other CSS in use.

I just wanted to verify if someone else had faced the same issue, although I know that it's not usual to have that setting configured if you're not using Mobility (my customer seems to like filling in any CSS field, just in case :-) and if it was FAD or a bug.

Hi Guys,

I just came across this today on version 7.1.5 not sure if any other version are affected too. Would like to know if it's a bug or a hidden design feature. What version are you using?

This is interesting as Chris said that CSS should only be used when device mobility is on and depending on the device mobility group.  I'll play around with this in the lab some more to see if this is working as designed or not.

I believe only below fields are required while configuring the DP:

DP name

CUCM Group

Date/Time group

Region

Media resource group

All the fields related to CSS could remain selected as

Hi jonesbrett,

I came across this first in 7.1.5.31900-3 and then I reproduced the issue in my lab (8.6.2a)

HTH,

Carmen

I've also confirmed that this happens in CUCM 4.3(2) all the way up to 9.0(1).  Only when the device level CSS is not configured (set to ) will the device mobilitiy CSS be applied.  This is working as designed, even though I agree it was unexpected.  The device mobility CSS does not overwrite or concatinate with the device level CSS if there is one configured.  The logic behind this is similar to the location settings, it can be configured on the device as well as the device pool.  If there is nothing set on the device the device pool setting takes effect. 

I've filed a documentation defect to document this behavior to hopefully avoid confusion in the furture (CSCuc79185).

Excellent update Joe (+5)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Response Signature

Thanks Joe