Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Pack Upgrade ?

csedlmeier
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Cisco Support community.

We have call manager 11.01 and I want to update my 8865 phones to new 12.1 FW version and we also want to enable new 8832 conference phones.

Because of this I could see that we need newer device pack version as we already have.

Now I am planning device pack update on an maintenance window and want to be sure if I understand right:

- If I do an device pack update on 11.0.1 I need to reload whole cluster (only publisher and subscriber in cluster) ?

- Do I understand right. If I upgrade to new device pack version I just need to install the new one and the old is automaticly exchanged by the new one ?

- It seem device packs are comming with FW for phones too ?

Thanks in advance.

Christian

7 Replies 7

Aeby Vinod
Level 3
Level 3

If you are using Cisco Unified Communications Manager version 11.0(1) or earlier, a cluster-wide reboot is required

When you install a device pack code inclusions for phone models are updated on the current software. Also the device pack will have firmware releases of the phones. The firmware versions included on the device pack depends on the latest versions of phone firmware available at the time of the release of the device pack.

If you do not want an upgrade of the phone FW, copy the load names in the device defaults to a notepad, install device pack and before reboot of the cluster, go the device defaults page again (this will be updated with he newer firmware) copy that to a new notepad and replace the loads version on the models you don't want the upgrade to happen from the first notepad.

Please rate if you find this helpful.

Regards,
Aeby

Please rate if you find this helpful.

Regards,
Aeby

Instead of copying to notepad, you could just use BAT > Import/Export to get the list prior, then upload it back in after. However, I have personally seen, where the phones will upgrade and you don't have anytime to make that change. So, either, deactivate TFTP first, or use BAT > Phone > Update Phone, and hardcode a fake firmware load like "banana", which will cause the phone to ask for an invalid firmware file, and thus not upgrade/downgrade. And because device level settings are higher priority than device defaults, this works.

I actually wish Cisco would separate out phone firmware, new device support, and CUCM upgrades, so we can control the distribution of firmware easier.

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

the call manager version mentioned is 11.x while u are referring to have latest firmware 12.x . To do the same , u need to install latest device pack as per the below link.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/compat/matrix/CMDP_BK_CCBDA741_00_cucm-device-package-compatibility-matrix/CMDP_BK_CCBDA741_00_cucm-device-package-compatibility-matrix_chapter_00.html#CMDP_RF_C8E075E1_00

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8800-series/firmware/12-1-1/releasenotes/p881_b_8800-series-release-notes-1211.html#topic_740E7E86E5D2171545AAB513787B77F4

But to do the same, u also need to have Call Manager 12.x  since u won't be able to install device pack of 12 on CUCM version 11.x.

to my understanding u need to upgrade the call manager as well.

we can wait for  more inputs which can help.

regds,

aman

Why should I update the call manager as well ?

Hi,

If u refer the release notes for firmware 12.1(1), it says

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cuipph/8800-series/firmware/12-1-1/releasenotes/p881_b_8800-series-release-notes-1211.html#topic_740E7E86E5D2171545AAB513787B77F4

Also, find the attached device pack which says 12.0 is supported with CM 12.x

Installation

Installation Requirements

Before you install the firmware release, you must ensure that your Cisco Unified Communications Manager is running the latest device pack. After you install a device pack on the Cisco Unified Communications Manager servers in the cluster, you need to reboot all the servers.

Note

If your Cisco Unified Communications Manager does not have the required device pack to support this firmware release, the firmware may not work correctly.

DevPacks are version specific, yes, but there is a DevPack for 11.0. Regarding FW compatibility, read the table 1 from the RN you posted.

If you go to download that FW you see:

Description: 8845, 8865 and 8865NR SIP IP Phone load signed COP file - Compatible CUCM Versions: 9.1(2)+
Release: 12.1(1)
HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Lalo Nunez
Level 1
Level 1

As indicated earlier, the Device Pack the updates the CUCM database so it should be applied to all CUCM servers. As Aeby stated, reverting the values under Device Defaults before the cluster reboot is important if you plan on not upgrading the firmware. The Device Pack changes the defaults and upon rebooting, the Cluster all phones will attempt to upgrade their firmware which can be a nightmare in some scenarios.