Helpful
Replies

dial peer destination pattern and dialed number match

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody

Router_A(config)#dial-peer voice 10 pots

Router_A(config-dial-peer)#destination-pattern 555...

Router_A(config-dial-peer)

Let say we dial 555 123. it will match the destination pattern 555 ...

How about if  I dial 555 12346, will it match the destination-pattern 555...  ?

555... means the dialed number must contain 6 digits, the first three( from left) must be 555 and the last three can be any number.

SO If my understanding is correct, then the dialed number 555 12345 should not match the destination pattern 555...

Here is why:

The first three(from left) numbers 555 matches 555 as specified in dial peer. But the whole dialed number contains 8 digits while our destination pattern has 6 digits, three of them 555 while the last three can be any numbers as indicated by ....

Is my understanding correct ?

thanks and have a great weekend.

5 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sarah,

That is absolutely correct. The CME will do a digit analysis with every digit entered. As soon as it receives the 6th digit, it will match dial-peer 10 and not wait for the remaining digits. Here is a nice document which talks about dialpeer matching in more detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

View solution in original post

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sarah,

Thats correct and in addition to the excellent info provided by Harmit, what you will observe on the phone is that the user will not be able to dial the last 2 digits..Once the 6 digits are matched, ccme will route the call.

Another scenario is where you have a dial-peer as follows

dial-peer voice 10 voip

destination-pattern 555.....

when a user dials 555123, the call will not be routed immediately and the user will experience a delay because ccme has to wait for inter digit time out before routing the call..So its important to plan your dial plan and dial-peers properly

Please rate all useful posts

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sarah,

Inter digit time out will beging once a pattern is matched...Yes. However if after dialling 5 in your example, the user stops..when the inter digit timeout expires, the user will hear a fast busy tone. This is because no pattern is  matched.

"So if user just dials 5 and stops then nothing should happen because single digit 5 does not match the dial pattern 555....." Yes, nothing happens other than a busy tone will be played.

"'Nature is too thin a screen, the glory of the omnipresent God bursts through it everywhere"-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sarah,

Cisco voice gateways operate on a longest match principle..In this case dial-peer 20 will be matched because this is a more specific match.

Hi Sarah,

Coffee sure does :-)

+5 for Aokanlawon for a great answer!

Just to add to it, you can change the hunting order to what you require. Here are the options available (option 0 is the default):

router(config)#dial-peer hunt ?

<0-7>  Dial-peer hunting choices, listed in hunting order within each choice:

0 - Longest match in phone number, explicit preference, random selection.

1 - Longest match in phone number, explicit preference, least recent use.

2 - Explicit preference, longest match in phone number, random selection.

3 - Explicit preference, longest match in phone number, least recent use.

4 - Least recent use, longest match in phone number, explicit preference.

5 - Least recent use, explicit preference, longest match in phone number.

6 - Random selection.

7 - Least recent use.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

12 Replies 12

Harmit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Sarah,

That is absolutely correct. The CME will do a digit analysis with every digit entered. As soon as it receives the 6th digit, it will match dial-peer 10 and not wait for the remaining digits. Here is a nice document which talks about dialpeer matching in more detail:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Hi Harmit

Just come with yet another question( Coffee does wonders!)

dial-peer voice 10 voip

destination-pattern 555...

dial -peer voice 20 voip

destination-pattern 555 1234

Let say a user dials 555 1234. which dial peer will be used because they both match the dialed 555 1234 number ?

thanks and have a great day

Sarah,

Cisco voice gateways operate on a longest match principle..In this case dial-peer 20 will be matched because this is a more specific match.

Thanks Aokanlawon.

Hi Sarah,

Coffee sure does :-)

+5 for Aokanlawon for a great answer!

Just to add to it, you can change the hunting order to what you require. Here are the options available (option 0 is the default):

router(config)#dial-peer hunt ?

<0-7>  Dial-peer hunting choices, listed in hunting order within each choice:

0 - Longest match in phone number, explicit preference, random selection.

1 - Longest match in phone number, explicit preference, least recent use.

2 - Explicit preference, longest match in phone number, random selection.

3 - Explicit preference, longest match in phone number, least recent use.

4 - Least recent use, longest match in phone number, explicit preference.

5 - Least recent use, explicit preference, longest match in phone number.

6 - Random selection.

7 - Least recent use.

HTH.

Regards,

Harmit.

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sarah,

Thats correct and in addition to the excellent info provided by Harmit, what you will observe on the phone is that the user will not be able to dial the last 2 digits..Once the 6 digits are matched, ccme will route the call.

Another scenario is where you have a dial-peer as follows

dial-peer voice 10 voip

when a user dials 555123, the call will not be routed immediately and the user will experience a delay because ccme has to wait for inter digit time out before routing the call..So its important to plan your dial plan and dial-peers properly

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Aokanlawon

dial-peer voice 10 voip

What If the user just dial 5 and stops. What will happen next? will gateway wait for inter digit time out and then  match the dial peer 10?

This is my understanding.  inter digit time out comes to play when the dialed numbers already match the numbers specified by dialer pattern. For example when the user dials 555 and stops, the dialed number 555 matches the number specified by dialer -pattern 10. Now inter digit time out comes to play.

So if user just dials 5 and stops then nothing should happen because single digit 5 does not match the dial pattern 555.....

Is my understanding correct ?

thanks for your help

Sarah,

Inter digit time out will beging once a pattern is matched...Yes. However if after dialling 5 in your example, the user stops..when the inter digit timeout expires, the user will hear a fast busy tone. This is because no pattern is  matched.

"So if user just dials 5 and stops then nothing should happen because single digit 5 does not match the dial pattern 555....." Yes, nothing happens other than a busy tone will be played.

Hello,

I have a problem I have 2 call managers cisco ISR CME with a sip trunk established between them I have this strange problem 

From a SIP phone I can call internally and to other sites using SIP trunk but from SCCP Phones call internally works fine but to other sites it is cutting the call and taking only 3 digits of the number means in my case only it takes 407 and cuts out for SCCP phone

Kindly advise what could be the problem 

Please find below the dial-peers:

dial-peer voice 200 voip
preference 1
destination-pattern 407..
session protocol sipv2
session target ipv4:X.X.X.X
session transport tcp
voice-class sip bind control source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
voice-class sip bind media source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
dtmf-relay rtp-nte
codec g711ulaw
no vad
!
dial-peer voice 201 voip
preference 2
destination-pattern 407..
session protocol sipv2
session target ipv4:X.X.X.X
session transport tcp
voice-class sip bind control source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
voice-class sip bind media source-interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
dtmf-relay rtp-nte
codec g711ulaw
no vad

Please open a new thread.

I think you are matching an overlapping translation rule which stops digit
collection after the 3rd digit. Go to DNA and perform dialing analysis
using the SCCP phone.

Hello Mohammed,

Kindly find below my translation rules:

voice translation-rule 2
rule 1 /^20/ //
!
voice translation-rule 3
rule 15 /.*/ /56102/
!
!
voice translation-profile incoming-afs
translate called 3
!
voice translation-profile out
translate called 2

It doesn't seem a translation rule overlapping can you let me know what do you mean by Go to DNA and perform dialing analysis using the SCCP phone?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: