cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Difference between destination-pattern and incoming called-number

ievalleyccie
Level 1
Level 1

I am very confused about the difference  between destination-pattern and incoming called-number like in the example before

I read the Cisco Doc that said that  incoming called-number to match the incoming call leg to an inbound dial peer

and destination-patternto match the Called number (DNIS) strings for outbound

dial-peer voice 1 voip

destination-pattern 4...

session target ras

incoming called-number 4...

I hope if anyone help me to understand the difference in that example

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Keep in mind that every call matches 2 call legs, inbound and outbound, so assume calls comes in from PSTN and goes to CUCM, it will match incming POTS dial peer and outgoing voip dial peer. If call comes in from CUCM and is going to PSTN it will match incoming voip dial peer (if you dont have one a default one is going to be used) and outgoing pots dial peer.

Incoming called-number matches the incoming dial peer and destination-pattern matches outgoing dial peer. If you do not have a dial-peer that matches the dialed number via Incoming called-number a dial-peer with destination-pattern  will be matched for incoming calls as well.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

No, use one or the other. Here is how I do it:

for calls from CUCM to PSTN:

build only POTS dial peers with destination-pattern matching PSTN calls, i.e. 91[2-9]..[2-9]......

you could designate one voip dial-peer as default inbound dial peer by defining "incoming-called number ." on it, if you dont do that default hidden dial-peer 0 will be used.

for calls from PSTN to CUCM:

ensure you have at least one POTS dial peer with incoming called-number for each circuit or trunk-group, at least such as:

dial-peer voice pots

incoming called-number . <-- this will match all calls coming in on a specific port used on this dial-peer

and build voip dial-peer(s) with destination patter pointing to CUCM server(s) such as:

dial-peer voice 1 voip

destination-pattern 50..

session-target ipv4:

dial-peer voice 2 voip

destination-pattern 50..

session-target ipv4:

preference 1

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Have you read this doc, it explains it pretty well:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml

HTH,

Chris

I understand it when she is configured on pots dial peer but I don't understand when it applies at the same time with

destination-pattern on voip dial peer

Keep in mind that every call matches 2 call legs, inbound and outbound, so assume calls comes in from PSTN and goes to CUCM, it will match incming POTS dial peer and outgoing voip dial peer. If call comes in from CUCM and is going to PSTN it will match incoming voip dial peer (if you dont have one a default one is going to be used) and outgoing pots dial peer.

Incoming called-number matches the incoming dial peer and destination-pattern matches outgoing dial peer. If you do not have a dial-peer that matches the dialed number via Incoming called-number a dial-peer with destination-pattern  will be matched for incoming calls as well.

HTH,

Chris

Chris,

Nice description (+5)

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Thanks Alex, much appreciated.

Chris

Does that mean I don't need to use  destination-pattern and Incoming called-numbe under voip dial peer at the same time ?

No, use one or the other. Here is how I do it:

for calls from CUCM to PSTN:

build only POTS dial peers with destination-pattern matching PSTN calls, i.e. 91[2-9]..[2-9]......

you could designate one voip dial-peer as default inbound dial peer by defining "incoming-called number ." on it, if you dont do that default hidden dial-peer 0 will be used.

for calls from PSTN to CUCM:

ensure you have at least one POTS dial peer with incoming called-number for each circuit or trunk-group, at least such as:

dial-peer voice pots

incoming called-number . <-- this will match all calls coming in on a specific port used on this dial-peer

and build voip dial-peer(s) with destination patter pointing to CUCM server(s) such as:

dial-peer voice 1 voip

destination-pattern 50..

session-target ipv4:

dial-peer voice 2 voip

destination-pattern 50..

session-target ipv4:

preference 1

HTH,

Chris

Hi All,

I am confused,

How come'" incoming cold number .'"maches any pattern as it is configured for a single digit.

Please explain.

Hi Saif,

To keep it simple...

For incoming calls from PSTN to CUCM you need to create :

voip dial-peers.

example

dial-peer voice 2 voip

destination-pattern 3...

voice-class codec 1

voice-class h323 1

session target ipv4:10.10.210.11

incoming called-number .

dtmf-relay h245-alphanumeric

no vad

For outgoing calls to PSTN you need to create pots dial-pers

example

dial-peer voice 911 pots

destination-pattern 911

port 0/2/0:23

forward-digits 3

Its important to specify the port in your pots dial-peer

Hope this will help

Did you read the Cisco documents on how dial peers are matched:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml

it explains it pretty well.

Chris

It explains nothing about wildcards so why does one dot match any number?

"."  Indicates a single-digit placeholder. For example, 555.... matches any dialed string beginning with 555, plus at least four additional digits. 

quote from the link below

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/voice/configuration/guide/fvvfax_c/vvfpeers.html

the "."  means at least one digit, not exactly one digit

For exact  digit matching you would use   $ at the end  for example 555....$