cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DIgit manipulation CUCM + MGCP gateway

ev1205
Level 2
Level 2

Hi everyone, we have a CUCM ver10.5 running on a customer who use a MGCP gateway with 2xPRI connections to PSTN, and all internal extensions are 4-digit numbers.

My customer's SP provides them only 4-digit number for PSTN assigned DIDs.

Many of these 4-digit DIDs overlap my internal DNs.

As we can not set translation profiles for incoming calls on my MGCP gateway, I would like to know How can we manipulate these 4-Digit DID in order to translate them properly on my CUCM .????

Do you know any link where we can find the solution to this problem.???

Best Regards and Thanks for your help

Enrique Villasana

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Create a separate CSS for your gateways incoming calls, say CSS_VGW_incoming. and create a separate partition PT_VGW_incoming and stick that in CSS_VGW_incoming.

-add a translation pattern and translate 9337 to 8230 and stick this in PT_VGW_incoming and use CSS_Internal as its CSS. 

If you wanted to use 55XXXX then instead change the translation pattern to translate XXXX to 55XXXX, or simply prefix 55 (under call routing information inbound). 

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Manish Gogna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Enrique,

Ideally you should be looking to change the internal DN's if you don't have the option to get a separate range of DID's from the provider. Try adding an additional digit to those DN's to make them 5 digit or use a separate range. Managing a dial-plan which overlaps will be difficult.

HTH

Manish

Thanks Manish and Jaime for your very useful comments and your interest of helping me !!

The problem is ......my customer does not want to change current internal Directory Numbers , and they do not want to pay the telco extra bills for changing their current 4-digits DIDs scheme ( they are about 400+ DIDs).

They say that this scheme has been  working for years (at an old Nortel PBX), so we have to configure new CUCM under these rules.

Jaime as we are using MGCP gateways, I tried to configure:

a) At router a "num-exp .... 555...." ( to change any 4-digit to a 555.... number)

b) At CUCM a translation pattern for each DID, for example 5559337 (DID 9337) to internal DN 8130.

But it is not working !! Could any of you please tell me what I am missing here...?

I really appreciate your support !!

Enrique Villasana

Hello Enrique,

surprisingly i faced a similar each today with an MGCP gateway i tried number expansion translation and transformation but nothing worked.

My scenario

PRI -- MGCP(GW) -- Phone with forward all to VM just for testing

PSTN sends 4814

i tried to translate it to 000666 using VGW css and a translation pattern hits the user VM

i tried Incoming called party transformation still goes to the user VM

number expansion on the VGW CLI still goes to user VM

Did you find the answer to this problem

yeah!

As I wrote

a) configure prefix 55 and proper CSS under call routing information inbound of voice gateway's port.

b) we create a TP 55XXXX to redirect DIDs to proper  internal 4-digit DN.

And it worked

I HTH

Enrique

a) configure prefix 55 and proper CSS under call routing information inbound of voice gateway's port.

b) we create a TP 55XXXX to redirect DIDs to proper  internal DN .

- See more at: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12488346/digit-manipulation-cucm-mgcp-gateway#comment-10517816

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming each DID range comes into a different PRI, you can set a prefix for the inbound calls, however, you definitely need to change your dial plan to at least 5 digits to differentiate the calls.

OR you can ask your telco to send you more digits.

But as Manish said, having an overlapping dial plan, is a terrible idea, and a very bad design that will only lead to trouble.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks Manish and Jaime for your very useful comments and your interest of helping me !!

The problem is ......my customer does not want to change current internal Directory Numbers , and they do not want to pay the telco extra bills for changing their current 4-digits DIDs scheme ( they are about 400+ DIDs).

They say that this scheme has been  working for years (at an old Nortel PBX), so we have to configure new CUCM under these rules.

Jaime as we are using MGCP gateways, I tried to configure:

a) At router a "num-exp .... 555...." ( to change any 4-digit to a 555.... number)

b) At CUCM a translation pattern for each DID, for example 5559337 (DID 9337) to internal DN 8130.

But it is not working !! Could any of you please tell me what I am missing here...?

I really appreciate your support !!

Enrique Villasana

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When you say: My customer's SP provides them only 4-digit number for PSTN assigned DIDs. Does that mean, that for inbound calls your MGCP gateway only gets 4 digits presented?

On you gateways config, under "Call Routing Information - Inbound calls" you can do digit manipulation. 

You will need to work with the CSS that you can configure there and add translation patterns that are part of that CSS.  

Perhaps if you can give us an example, including DN's partitions and CSS, we can work out something for ya

Hi Dennis !!! Thanks for your comments.

As we sadly verified, the SP is providing to our gateway's PRI circuits 4-digits numbers for DIDs.

For example one DID is the PSTN number 939-3129337 which is assigned to our internal DN:8230...... well our MGCP gateway receives only the last 4 digits "9337".

Currently we have:

a) Internal DNs like DN 8230 in "Partition PT_Internal"

b) Translation Pattern 9337 pointing to DN 8230 in Partition "PT_Internal".

c) The CSS for "Call Routing Information - Inbound calls" section is "CSS_Internal" which includes "PT_Internal".

I tried to do what you are recommending but I think I missed something...

I am looking for a way to translate all these 4-digit DIDs (XXXX) arriving to my MGCP Gateway to a 55XXXX number, so we could set a translation pattern on CUCM to the proper internal DN.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Best Regards

Enrique Villasana

Create a separate CSS for your gateways incoming calls, say CSS_VGW_incoming. and create a separate partition PT_VGW_incoming and stick that in CSS_VGW_incoming.

-add a translation pattern and translate 9337 to 8230 and stick this in PT_VGW_incoming and use CSS_Internal as its CSS. 

If you wanted to use 55XXXX then instead change the translation pattern to translate XXXX to 55XXXX, or simply prefix 55 (under call routing information inbound). 

Dennis, thanks again for your interest !!

Tomorrow morning I will be at customer office and I will configure your recommendation with translation pattern on different partition.

I already tried with prefix 55 under call routing information inbound, but it did not work.

I will let you know the results !!!!

Enrique Villasana

Is this solved?

Sadly No.

As I wrote last friday, although I applied recommended settings, it did not work.

Enrique Villasana

Dennis I tried today

1) I configured prefix55 under call routing information inbound and setup TP 559337 to 8230.

2) I configured CSS and PT for VGVincoming and setup TP XXXX to 55XXXX.

3) I configured on Voice Gateway CLI a "num-exp .... 55...." and in CUCM a TP 559337 to 8320.

But none of these options worked..

We are working with a MGCP gateway here, but I understand I could setup prefix ( like "55" before incoming 4-digit number), so the CUCM would receive the 55XXXX number....

I appreciate any comments.

Enrique Villasana

ev1205
Level 2
Level 2

Dennis sorry for my very late answer ...It worked !!

"If you wanted to use 55XXXX then instead change the translation pattern to translate XXXX to 55XXXX, or simply prefix 55 (under call routing information inbound). "

I missed to configure properly the incoming call CSS.

But we:

b) we create a TP 55XXXX to redirect DIDs to proper  internal DN .

THANKS A LOT

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: