Views
Helpful
Replies

Directory For Phones

clark white
Level 2
Level 2

Dear's,

• I have added 300 IP phones (SIP) in call manager by BAT, when i press a directory button on phone nothing is displayed in corporate directory, I want all 300 directory number with their associated name , How can i get that.

• I have not integrate with Windows AD,I have one doubt if suppose i integrate with AD then how the directory numbers will get associated with user id which will be pulled from AD.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Clark,

The built-in corporate directory is populated based on End Users provisioned on your system not devices. At a minimum, you need to have end users in the database with a last name, and telephone number attributes populated with valid data. Of course, you'll need a user ID, password, and PIN but neither of these attributes are used by the Corporate Directory application. I also recommend populating the first name attribute as this is more user friendly.

So, that said, you can bulk import end users into your database using BAT. You can probably leverage values in your phone BAT CSV to seed the end user import. If you went this route, had clean data, used the first name/last name in the line description, alerting or display fields,  then you can use a formula in excel to build a new CSV for import.

In regards to the AD integration, the CUCM leverages a service called DirSync to pull information from AD. You have to provisioned a read only service account that is used to run a LDAP query and pull data from AD into CUCM. You have to specify a "search base", which is an OU that has user objects you want to import. You also need to map AD attributes to CUCM attributes. Finally, you can build custom query filters to ensure that you are grabbing the user objects you care about.

User objects synchronized via DirSync are actually inserted into the End User table in CUCM. Just like when you create end users manually or import them via BAT. If you have existing users in the End User table then those user objects are disabled. If during the DirSync process it is determined that a AD user "matches" an existing End User then the mapped AD attributes are written into the End User table and the user ID is enabled again.

At no time does the DirSync process make any device associations. It is 100% focused on populating the End User table with user objects from your LDAP repository. Existing device/line/etc. associations are preserved (assuming that the user is re-enabled as part of the DirSync process). If you need to associate devices to end users then you can do so manually or you can leverage BAT or AXL/SOAP or some other application.

HTH.

-Bill (@ucguerrilla)

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

the directory comes from enduser list. you can achieve this by adding them or integrate users from windows AD

HTH
Anas

please rate if it is helpful

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Thanks for your reply,

How to add a end user list ???

If suppose i integrate through AD then what is sync ??, I hope  first name, last name, & passwords but what about the extension of the user which AD does'nt have any info.

thanks

Clark,

This goes to how you map your AD attributes to the CUCM end user attributes. By default givenName maps for firstname, sn maps to last name, and telephoneNumber maps to telephone number. So, the telephone number is replicated "as is". This presents a problem for many organizations because either their data is flawed or the telephone numbers are in a format that is not consistent with how the IP phone users will dial the phone number.

Passwords are NOT replicated via DirSync. This is a big no-no. Instead, you can enable LDAP authentication (separate function from LDAP sync) and your CUCM will proxy authentication requests to your LDAP repository.

If AD doesn't have attributes then DirSync may simply skip them during the directory sync process. This depends on the LDAP filter you are using when you initiate the synchronization process.

HTH

-Bill (@ucguerrilla)

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Clark,

The built-in corporate directory is populated based on End Users provisioned on your system not devices. At a minimum, you need to have end users in the database with a last name, and telephone number attributes populated with valid data. Of course, you'll need a user ID, password, and PIN but neither of these attributes are used by the Corporate Directory application. I also recommend populating the first name attribute as this is more user friendly.

So, that said, you can bulk import end users into your database using BAT. You can probably leverage values in your phone BAT CSV to seed the end user import. If you went this route, had clean data, used the first name/last name in the line description, alerting or display fields,  then you can use a formula in excel to build a new CSV for import.

In regards to the AD integration, the CUCM leverages a service called DirSync to pull information from AD. You have to provisioned a read only service account that is used to run a LDAP query and pull data from AD into CUCM. You have to specify a "search base", which is an OU that has user objects you want to import. You also need to map AD attributes to CUCM attributes. Finally, you can build custom query filters to ensure that you are grabbing the user objects you care about.

User objects synchronized via DirSync are actually inserted into the End User table in CUCM. Just like when you create end users manually or import them via BAT. If you have existing users in the End User table then those user objects are disabled. If during the DirSync process it is determined that a AD user "matches" an existing End User then the mapped AD attributes are written into the End User table and the user ID is enabled again.

At no time does the DirSync process make any device associations. It is 100% focused on populating the End User table with user objects from your LDAP repository. Existing device/line/etc. associations are preserved (assuming that the user is re-enabled as part of the DirSync process). If you need to associate devices to end users then you can do so manually or you can leverage BAT or AXL/SOAP or some other application.

HTH.

-Bill (@ucguerrilla)

Thanks William,

Very good Explanation, I will try to do by end user Bulk , If i face any issue i will reply back.