Views
Helpful
Replies

Disaster Recovery System Backup tar files disappearing

chancalvin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have backup schedules created in the middle of the night for cucm,unity,cup, and ccx all of which are 9.x. They are all writing to the exact same tftp server.

I have configured them to retain the last 5 copies before overwriting.

In the webgui's of each, it says the backup is 100% completed. This is the same for all the scheduled backups and even for  manual backups i do on the spot.

Here's the weird thing. On all but the ccx (which ill get to later), i see the 5 tar files. But instead of overwriting the oldest copy, the newest copy always gets overwritten. Is there a setting to control this? Besides the number of backups to retain option, i dont seem to see anything else.

Now for the CCX. All the backup files disappear on the SFTP. When i run a manual backup, i will see the file show up on the sftp. but then shortly after it is gone.

So my question is, is there a way Cisco is somehow sending incorrect overwrite commands to the sftp?

And can someone verify that Cisco is the one that initiates the file deletions? ie "I am only supposed to keep 5 days worth, so i will go in and delete the 6th day right now.."

Anyone experience this before?

thank you

2 Replies 2

Hi

I just found that note  

Network Directory—Stores the backup file on a network drive that is accessed through an SFTP connection. Enter the following required information:

–Server name: Name or IP address of the network server

–Path name: Path name for the directory where you want to store the backup file

–User name: Valid username for an account on the remote system

–Password: Valid password for the account on the remote system

–Number of backups to store on Network Directory: The number of backups to store on this network directory.

If you are backing up more than one Connection server, we recommend that you create a separate directory on the network drive for each Connection server. In addition, if you are using DRS to back up other applications (Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Cisco Unified Presence), we recommend that you create a separate directory for each of the other servers. The value that you specify here applies to all of the backups in the directory, not just the backups for one server. For example, suppose you want to retain three backups for a Connection server and three backups for a Cisco Unified Communications Manager server. If you specify the same network directory for both servers, and if you specify three as the number of backups to store in the directory on both servers, only the most recent three backups will appear in the directory. If the last three backups were of the Connection server, you will not have any Cisco Unified Communications Manager backups at all.

Specify a value high enough to ensure that the backups you want to keep are not overwritten. For example, if you configure DRS so a full backup of a Connection server requires three separate backups (components, MailboxStore1, and MailboxStore2) and if you want to retain the two most recent full backups, choose 6 here. Choosing a lower number will cause the Disaster Recovery System to overwrite backups that you want to retain.

The location you specified in the Path Name field must have enough space for the number of backups you specify here plus one. When the network drive contains the maximum number of backups that you want to store, DRS saves the newest backup to that location before deleting the oldest backup.

So if you use the same directory for all backups you may have exactly that problem when you backing up 5 or more servers. Try different directories for each server.

That the CCX backup dissapear could be related to that but not sure. Any task running on that server to move files to a different location like xcopy or so? 

Eike

Thank you for this Eike,

Indeed all the backups (cucm,ccx,cuc,cup) are going into the same directory on the sftp. I have adjusted this and will see what the scheduled backups look like this week.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: