cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disaster recovery system .tar backup file cannot be opened

cg
Level 1
Level 1

When I try to open any of the .tar files created by the UCS disaster recovery using 7zip I get an error stating can not open file as archive. Is this the normal? I just want to be sure that the .tar. aren't corrupted.

Some example file names that Im trying to open:

2019-05-03-04-00-06_CUCM02_UCM_ANN.tar

2019-05-03-04-00-06_CUCM01_UCM_PLATFORM.tar

3 Replies 3

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They are encrypted. There are ways to decrypt and open them with the security passphrase; however, that won’t prove they are viable. As with any backup, the only way to prove it works is to try restoring from it in the lab.

https://www.adhdtech.com/uctools.html

While on the topic, be certain you are using a supported SFTP server: OpenSSH, Cygwin, or Titan FTP. I have first-hand experienced a client using a non-supported/tested SFTP product that was corrupting file’s despite DRS labeling the backup a success. They couldn’t restore from them when we needed to.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cust_contact/contact_center/crs/express_12_0/maintain_and_operate/guide/uccx_b_uccx-admin-and-operations-guide-120/uccx_b_uccx-admin-and-operations-guide-120_chapter_011010.html#UCCX_RF_S9FB582E_00

+5 to Jonathon

To add to what Jonathon is saying they are encrypted with the ispec cert.  I often see problems where people let this expire and only one node is able to back up.

Good news is at least you have the file..... I had a customer where the back ups where showing completed on CUCM but when we needed to restore they were not on the SFTP in the folder CUCM was saying it had completed the back up to. Not a great place to be when you lose a node during an upgrade.

We are using Bitvise SSH, which seems to work well but Id still like to test these backups. We definitely don't have a lab available to test a restore. How does one use the DRS Backup decrypter. When I select the source and output the 'decrypt' button remains disabled? We are on version 11.0.1.11900-4