Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Display, Description and line text label fields update in Bulk

Hi,

In an existing setup, the customer wants to modify the name, display, line text label fields of around 200 phones. The existing phones has extra configuration such as second lines, call pickup groups, separate call forward settings. My objective is only to modify the names and the remaining fields needs to remain the same for all the phones using bulk option.

The customer is having 1000+ IP phones with different models, so it would be difficult to shortlist by exporting and importing it back. Also, I need to do the same for some Analog phones which are connected over Analog VG.

So I am looking for the option to do it in Bulk.

The CUCM version is 12.5.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Thirruselvaa

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There are not a lot of options, either you use BAT with custom files, or you go the programmatic way and use AXL

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Thanks for your response. Can you please elaborate me how to do it in bulk.

I am not supposed to change any other settings apart from name changes only. Remaining settings such as call forward, call pickup settings needs to remain the same.

Also, if you have any document for how to do it over programmatic way using AXL, I can try that too.

Thanks,

Thirruselvaa

The topic of using custom files with BAT has been discussed many times, you can find plenty of references and even the Cisco BAT guide explains it, review those and then test it out with a single device to understand the steps.

The AXL reference is over at devnet if you're interested, you'd need to write down the necessary code to perform the changes you want.

HTH

java

Hi Jaime,

I am not finding the sample custom file where I can modify all the settings such as line text label, description, Display etc., I tried to find it in other post, but not getting it.

Can you help me in getting the sample custom file. Even in Cisco documents, it was not clear.

Thanks,

Thirruselvaa

If you have SecureCRT I could send you a VBs that we have used to change this via the CLI? It requires you to first do SQL lookups from CLI to get the PKIDs of the devices and directory numbers that you intend to change the information on. I have it semi documented in a readme text file.

The script loops through the gathered information and change it one by one, so it’s not the fastest way to do it, but it works and for the most is hands off. At least when you have collected and prepared the input file needed to run the script. That’s when the SQL query in CLI comes into play.

Response Signature

python script using Axl will be the easiest option. 

Response Signature

Hello Roger,

If possible, please give me the option using secure crt and send me the document that you have created so that I can try and update you.

Hello Nithin,

Please send me the python script and I will try to do it using AXL. If you have any document for the same as well, it would be helpful.

Again a special thanks to all of you who cares to respond to my request.

Hi Thirruselvaa,
Here is the zip file that contains the script and a readme that explains how to use it. Please note it comes with no guarantees or support.

Response Signature

u need to make ur own script. check in Github. use the below SQL query in the  Script.

Changing CUCM line description via Sql

run sql UPDATE numplan SET description = REPLACE(description, '2001', '4000') WHERE description LIKE '%2001%'

Changing CUCM line text label via Sql

run sql UPDATE devicenumplanmap SET label = REPLACE(label, '2001', '4000) where label LIKE '2001%'

Response Signature

I'd like to add that doing changes via CLI is NOT recommended and would be all the way down in the preferred options to do this, because it provides no validation of the data (like the GUI or AXL) and without proper knowledge of what, and how to do it, it could break things in the DB.

HTH

java