cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does anyone really understand Cisco Licensing?

Tracee Baddley
Level 1
Level 1

Let's say "user license" (however that is defined).  If I understand correctly it is---

Ver 7 = DLU's

Ver 8 = UCL

Ver 9 = CUWL

Is that correct?

Also, with CUWL----in plain language how is "user" defined?  Is it a phone, an extension, a mailbox, or LDAP imported users***

***this would be a rip because the majority of people in my LDAP do not neccesarily have to have use of a phone.

8 Replies 8

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Tracee,

DLU means Device license units which is consuming units on basis of IP phone model.

You can have mix of UCL [user connect license] and DLU from CUCM version 7.1.5.

In CUCM 9 , u can have mix of UCL and CUWL.

for details , u can refer the attachment.

regds,

aman

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tracee

Pretty much correct.

Up to version 9.x, everything under the covers was actually DLUs. Even if you ordered UCL or CUWL licenses, DLUs got shipped. This caused lots of confusion.

As of version 9.x, everything is user based. End users within CUCM do NOT consume a license, only phones.

In CUCM terms, a user, by and large is just a phone (which is allocated, or "owned" by a user)

In CUC terms, a user is a mailbox.

And as a slightly (but only slightly) tongue in cheek answer to your original question, no, nobody understands Cisco licensing for UC products. Not even Cisco themselves. I can state this categorically as I've just sat in on a conference call where Cisco attempted to explain the new ordering process for UCSS and it was very clear that they didn't understand how it all works either.

Barry Hesk
Intrinsic Network Solutions

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just wanted to add my +5 for both Aman & Barry here. It's complicated

to say the least.......and thanks to Barry for the nice chuckle as well

it's nice to know we're all befuddled here!

Cheers!

Rob

"Why do the best things always disappear " 

- The Band

Hi Rob & Barry,

thanks for the ratings but surprisingly I see the ratings as constant figure.

Does this happen?

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

Not sure what you mean here buddy??

Cheers!

Rob

"Why do the best things always disappear " 

- The Band

Hi Rob,

What I was trying to say that BArry and you had given the rating to me as 5 each but the points what I see did not increase? they are 1666

this is what I was surprised to see.Could be a bug....

regds,

aman

You guys are awesome!  I am so glad that I am not alone.

We are currently at v7.15 on MCS hardware and we want to get to v9 on VMWare.  Because of some contraints of our hardware and our call center software, we have to do a bridged-type upgrade--upgrade to 8.6 and then to 9.  So perhaps you guys can understand the quandry that I am in.

Also, looking at my version 7 License Unit Report I see where I have 22,371 units authorized and am using 8,315 of them.  This tells me that at one time, my company was tremendously oversold on this.  If the street value of a single DLU is 25$ (and I have a feeling it is more than that), it means that we perhaps spent 350K on units that we do not need.

Do any of you guys ever want to throw something? 

Not necessarily...in versions 7.1(5) and 8.x licenses are purchased as users (UCL or CUWL) on the front-end but tracked by CUCM as DLU's on the back-end.

UCL Enhanced = 6 DLUs

CUWL Standard = 11 DLUs

CUWL Pro = 17 DLUs

Your company most likely purchased (or perhaps, were "sold") Workspace licensing but have chosen to only deploy a small subset of the entitled features & devices. This would account for your large amount of units authorized vs units consumed.

Again, you are not purchasing "units" but rather a user license which gets converted to "units" on the backend. Looking at every unconsumed DLU as $25 over-sold is a somewhat twisted view in my opinion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: