Views
Helpful
Replies

Don't Laugh

rchaseling
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I have been alerted to an issue today where 3 x 7941 phones have started "quacking". This sounded too funny to be true so i went an checked for myself & low an behold when these phones received an incoming call rather than the usual ring....the phones made a sort of quacking sound.

All 3 users swore that their phones were ringing normally yesterday - the phones are all locked down to default Chirp 1 (this is selected on all phones) and when pressing the volume up/down key you can hear the correct Chirp 1 ring tone but when they recieve an incoming call it "quacks".

I suspect it must be a speaker problem of some description but as the loud speaker works fine for voice calls & i can hear the correct ring when pressing the volum up/down key - the speaker seems to be OK.

Is there a separate speaker for the incoming call alert?

Russell

(quacking up)

8 Replies 8

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is not a separate speaker. If memory serves, the volume up/down plays the default ring. It is possible someone changed the line-level ring.

Check the settings menu.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Russell,

I suspect some wild&crazy Migratory Water Fowl has infiltrated your office

and is "Pranking" these users for some reason. Maybe all three had Peking Duck

yesterday for lunch or they are planning for some unsavory acts towards Mallards

in the near future

Sorry.....I couldn't resist!

Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting (via physical patch cord) any

of these sets? I have had some weird ringer issues that were solved by this "hard" reset method.

Cheers!

Rob

Guys,

Yes...we've had all the wise cracks going around already :-)

I've brought one of the phones upto my desk to play with and its still quacking so the hard reset didn't work & when i go into settings there are only 2 options - Chirp 1 & Chirp 2. When i select them & play them from the menu i hear the 2 tones correctly but it still quacks away on an incoming call no matter which of the 2 tones is selected.

The only thing i can think of is that the phones have been swapped around overnight (users use extension mobility so might not notice different phone).......but i still don't understand how the speaker seems to work fine for everything but an incoming call - i can only explain it as a "quack" but it does sort of have a slightly blown speaker sound to it.

Wonder if Cisco will RMA quacking phones?

Hello, I've had the same thing at a customer site last summer, we were laughing at the sound too!

I trying changing the ring also, but it didn't change the Quacker! They were training phones at least and I don't know if they ever found a way to fix it.

Let us know!

ggt-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Russel,

Just for the fun of it, would you matter recording the quacking sound and posting the .mp3 file? I'm so curious to hear that quack!

I'm sorry for not having something more useful to say, but I have absolutely no idea of what this could be.

Regards,

Rafa

Ok so i suppose it is only fair to post it so everyone can hear.....It has to be some sort of speaker problem which is degrading,  as today it is only quacking once per ring where yesterday it was giving a double quack :-)

Attached is the infamous Quack recorded from  my mobile

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can't believe this issue is being solved by a bunch of QUACKS!

He he he ...

Matthew Taber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Russel,

The phones definitely sound like a good candidate for replacement via RMA or under warranty, which can be processed through a service request with TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: