Views
Helpful
Replies

Doubt about upgrade CUCM 7.1.3 to 8.6

wilsonsant
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Guys,

I have the following doubts: My Customer have Cluster CUCM with 06 Server working in the version 7.1.3 and go to do upgrade version 8.6. It bought new servers. My question: I can to do backup 7.1.3, install version 8.6 in the new server and restore the version or I need first install 7.1.3 in the new servers, to do restore, after restore to do upgrade for version 8.6?

Thanks,

Wilson       

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A restore needs to be done on the EXACT SAME version from which it was taken, so, the 2nd option.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

Jason Dance
Level 1
Level 1

Agree, I had to do it that way when I went from cm6 to 8.6.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The way I have been handling 7.1(3) upgrades to 8.5 / 8.6 when there is a hardware migration elements has been to use the Bulk Import feature in BAT to provision the entire system (save stations/users). I handle the stations/user using BAT to export data and formulas/macros in a spreadsheet to normalize them to the new record format.

From there, I import End User (unless LDAP sync [via DirSync] is leveraged). Then I import the Phones (All-Details). Finally, I run a user update to bring in the rest of the user attributes (this is needed whether you use DirSync or not).

I started down this path because we often find that it is an opportune time to do some clean up of the system or dial plan design/config. Cleaning records "in transit" is always preferred. I also tend to use this method when there is no clean up because it is faster than installing software, using DRS, and then doing a restore.

That being said, not everyone walks the same path I do. Given the two options you are considering I agree with Jason and Java.

HTH.

-Bill

(@ucguerrilla)

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Wilson,

Here we go

Caution

Before you restore Cisco Unified Communications Manager, ensure that the Cisco  Unified Communications Manager version that is installed on the server  matches the version of the backup file that you want to restore. The Disaster Recovery System supports only matching versions of Cisco Unified Communications Manager for restore. For example, the Disaster Recovery System does not allow a restore from version 7.0(1).1000-1 to version 7.1(2).1000-1, or from version 7.1(2).1000-1 to version 7.1(2).1000-2.  (The last parts of the version number change when you install a service  release or an engineering special.) In essence, the product version  needs to match, end-to-end, for the Disaster Recovery System to run a successful Cisco Unified Communications Manager database restore. Disaster Recovery System adheres to strict version checking and allows restore only between matching versions of Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_6_1/drsag861.html#wp106469

Cheers!

Rob

EDIT: you beat me to the punch Anand +5

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A restore needs to be done on the EXACT SAME version from which it was taken, so, the 2nd option.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Jason Dance
Level 1
Level 1

Agree, I had to do it that way when I went from cm6 to 8.6.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The way I have been handling 7.1(3) upgrades to 8.5 / 8.6 when there is a hardware migration elements has been to use the Bulk Import feature in BAT to provision the entire system (save stations/users). I handle the stations/user using BAT to export data and formulas/macros in a spreadsheet to normalize them to the new record format.

From there, I import End User (unless LDAP sync [via DirSync] is leveraged). Then I import the Phones (All-Details). Finally, I run a user update to bring in the rest of the user attributes (this is needed whether you use DirSync or not).

I started down this path because we often find that it is an opportune time to do some clean up of the system or dial plan design/config. Cleaning records "in transit" is always preferred. I also tend to use this method when there is no clean up because it is faster than installing software, using DRS, and then doing a restore.

That being said, not everyone walks the same path I do. Given the two options you are considering I agree with Jason and Java.

HTH.

-Bill

(@ucguerrilla)

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Guys,

My Customer request for me any documentation informing that only is possible to do restore  on the EXACT SAME version. Is this any documentation explain about this?

Thank You very much,

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

Please refer the below section,

Caution

Before you restore Cisco Unified Communications Manager, ensure that the Cisco  Unified Communications Manager version that is installed on the server  matches the version of the backup file that you want to restore. The Disaster Recovery System supports only matching versions of Cisco Unified Communications Manager for restore. For example, the Disaster Recovery System does not allow a restore from version 6.1.(1).1000-1 to version 6.1(2).1000-1, or from version 6.1.(2).1000-1 to version 6.1(2).1000-2.

in the below link,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_6_1/drsag861.html

Hope it helps.

Anand

Please rate helpful posts !!

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Wilson,

Here we go

Caution

Before you restore Cisco Unified Communications Manager, ensure that the Cisco  Unified Communications Manager version that is installed on the server  matches the version of the backup file that you want to restore. The Disaster Recovery System supports only matching versions of Cisco Unified Communications Manager for restore. For example, the Disaster Recovery System does not allow a restore from version 7.0(1).1000-1 to version 7.1(2).1000-1, or from version 7.1(2).1000-1 to version 7.1(2).1000-2.  (The last parts of the version number change when you install a service  release or an engineering special.) In essence, the product version  needs to match, end-to-end, for the Disaster Recovery System to run a successful Cisco Unified Communications Manager database restore. Disaster Recovery System adheres to strict version checking and allows restore only between matching versions of Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/drs/8_6_1/drsag861.html#wp106469

Cheers!

Rob

EDIT: you beat me to the punch Anand +5

"Always movin' ahead and never lookin' back" - Springsteen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: