Views
Helpful
Replies

Dropped packets every 3 minutes between ip phones

krobberechts
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I remarked some strange behaviour with packet drops between 2 ip phones.

Those phones (cisco 6941) are connected on the same switch and have no problems but on the switch  I see Hic up in Jiiter & lost/drop packects” every 3 minutes in communication.

I suppose this is default behavior ?

How to explain ?

Kind regards,

Kurt

7 Replies 7

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What model switch? How are you seeing the lost packets?

Hello Jonathan,

I see it on the phone parameters itself. No dropped packets on the switches.

receiver lost packets: every 3 minutes 2 packets.

Kind regards,

Kurt

Kurt,

is there an actual issue as a result of these packets? does it actually effect your calls (quality of RTP stream?).

I know I am not actually answering your question, but if there is no effect, I wouldnt worry about it.

Unless you want to set up like wireshark or ethereal to get a more indepth view on what packets are being dropped and where they are coming from.

R.,

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thx for the update.

No impact on the calls but it's a large customer (17000 phones) and they are complaining sometimes about the voice quality. And they want every bit to be explained....:-)

Same issue happens for same codec?

G722

G711

G729

Any QoS configured?

If you swap switch port same issue?

Other model connected to same switch show same behavior?

Thanks

Hi,

It's for all the phones (also on different switches).

Also with a different type of phone.

Codec is always G711 on LAN

Kurt

We have exactly the same problem, where every 3minutes (and we're talking exactly) we lose RTSP packets and users get 2secs of silence.

The routers all report no lost data, and we're stumped!

Our CoLo provider recently toggled speed negotiation and duplex from auto to fixed and back, and the problem seemed to clear for a few days, now it's back.

Does anyone know of any processes that occur every 3minutes in Cisco kit?

Our two devices at a 3020 switch and an 1801 used as a firewall (not using ADSL, just FA0<->VLAN1).

Cheers,

Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: