Views
Helpful
Replies

DRS Restore on Subscribers

wenqianyu
Level 3
Level 3

All,

I am replacing a subscriber on a CUCM 715 cluster.

Server was installed with the same Server name and IP address as the original server. Before I did DRS restore, I noticed that all services needed on this subscriber are already started. Database Sync status is 2 (good).

Originally I thought a DRS restore is necessary to get everything configured the same as original server. But now it seems even without this DRS restore, it automatically picked up configurations from the server it replace.

Does anyone know what difference DRS Restore make compare with just install a new server and let it join the cluster???

Thanks,

Wenqian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Atul Khanna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wenqian,

There is only one difference in the above two ways, the DB replication process will be faster when you have already restored database on subscriber while adding it to publisher.

When you add a subscriber,  publisher will check all the tables present and update them accordingly on subscriber. So if the tables in subscriber is already updated, publisher will just perform a check and move on, it doesnt need to replicate the entry. Hence DB replication process will take less time.

-Atul

Please rate, if this helps!!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Atul Khanna
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Wenqian,

There is only one difference in the above two ways, the DB replication process will be faster when you have already restored database on subscriber while adding it to publisher.

When you add a subscriber,  publisher will check all the tables present and update them accordingly on subscriber. So if the tables in subscriber is already updated, publisher will just perform a check and move on, it doesnt need to replicate the entry. Hence DB replication process will take less time.

-Atul

Please rate, if this helps!!

wenqianyu
Level 3
Level 3

Atul,

Thanks for clarify this. Looks like I do not need to do DRS restore if I wait long enough after server is built.

Wenqian

Atu.

I`m doing a HW upgrade on a new cluster- Old Servers being replacd with newer Servers- same Hostname, same IP Address etc.

If I carry out a Restore/DRS on the Pub can I just wait til l the replication kicks in or is it best to do a DRS on the Subs as well?- bets practices

When you do a DRS back up on a Sub, the Back up Server path concerns multiple files which the Pub backed up- Pub , Sub1, Sub2 etc ,   will the DRS applicaiton just pick out the files it needs for each Subscriber or do you have to tell it ?

thanks

Hi,

Actually, If you have a good backup of the publisher you dont need to back up the subscriber. Just to be on the safer side you can. In case of multiple sub, please ensure that the DB replication of the PUB and first SUB is good before adding the 2nd SUB.

-Atul

Please rate, if this helps !!