Views
Helpful
Replies

DRS - .TAR File Encryption Method

dmohr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like to know what encryption algorithm the DRS uses when generating the .TAR files.

The Disaster Recovery System Administration Guide for Release 8.6(1) tells me:

Be aware that your backup .tar files are encrypted  by a randomly generated password. This password is then encrypted by  using the cluster security password and gets saved along with the  backup .tar files. You must remember this security password or take a  backup immediately after the security password change/reset.

But I can't figure out what algorithm exactly is used to encrypt the TAR-File (e.g. 256-bit AES, 3DES etc.)

Is there anything in the documentation I missed or does anyone can help me with that?

Thank you in advance.

Regards, david.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That kind of information for obvious reasons is not published, I recommend you to engage your AM as you might need to sign some NDAs to get that kind of info.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joseph Martini
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You did not miss anything in the documentation, the encryption method is not published.  Why do you need to know how it is encrypted?  Are you looking to decrypt the backup and view the contents?

Hi Joe,

thank you for your answer.

I'm currently writing an internal security document for one of my customers describing the security relevant parameters of the Voice Infrastructure. That document is needed for the works committee and one part is the backup-system and the encryption method is uses.

So the reason for my question is more political than technical.

Do you have an idea where I can get this information? (PDI?)

Regards, david.

That kind of information for obvious reasons is not published, I recommend you to engage your AM as you might need to sign some NDAs to get that kind of info.

HTH

java

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Hi javalenc,

I wasn't expecting that this kind of information is kept that strictly confidential.

If my customer insists on that, I would go your recommended way.

Thank you for your help.

Regards, david.

Great answer Java (+5).  That is the best way to handle this situation.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: