Views
Helpful
Replies

DSP NM-4FXO

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dears 

i m calculating DSP resources for my branch 4331 router which will be having 2 no's 4 FXO cards, i went to cisco tool & resources DSP calculator , i selected the router model but i didn't found the NM-4FXO card model option instead i saw only E1 controller option, why that so, is it i m missing something.

Please find the attached screenshot

thanks

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The available modules include 2-port and 4-port foreign exchange station (FXS), direct inward dial (DID), foreign exchange office (FXO), a combination of 2-port FXS and 4-port FXO, 4-port ear and mouth (E/M), and 2-port and 4-port basic rate interface (BRI) (Figure 1). The BRI cards support only voice features. The NIMs have a dedicated digital signal processor (DSP) that will be used for time-division multiplexing (TDM) analog voice services. Table 1 lists the available modules.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-733646.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Dear Jaime

So when NIM-2FXO/NIM4FXO has DSP resources on their cards then they don't require DSP on router motherboard.

m i correct please clarify.

thanks

The motherboard PVDMs are supported on all Cisco 4000 Series ISRs. They can be plugged directly into the single slot on the router motherboard or into the network interface module (NIM) that supports T1/E1 ports. A PVDM4 module plugged into the motherboard delivers IP-based voice services such as conferencing, media optimization, and transcoding only.

A PVDM4 module plugged into the T1/E1 NIM would be used for voice T1/E1 connectivity. Any excess channels can be reused toward other IP-based services supported on the motherboard slot. Enhanced DSP architecture accommodates a new packet-processing engine optimized for rich-media voice applications, while concurrently supporting the TDM-IP voice framework.

The PVDM enhanced services modules are supported on ISRs that contain an SM-X slot - namely the Cisco 4331, 4351, and 4451 ISRs. The SM-X modules support only IP-based voice services and cannot be used for TDM applications.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-728307.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Dear Jaime,

i am ordering  PVDM4 -32 1 no's with 2 no's of NIM- 4FXO cards, so PVDM4 -32 which i m ordering will be on factory installed on motherboard ?? for  voice services

And for the new NIM-4FXO cards PVDM are separately built in the card ???  

Please clarify

thanks

Dears,

Anybody can update me with the below query.

Thanks

1) so PVDM4 -32 Will be most probably shipped separately Or In Some Instances they preinstall all the module. Either case Installing PVDM4-32 is straightforward. You can google about it. Same is Case with NIM-4FXO & PVDM.

*** Please rate helpful post; Mark "Accept as a Solution" if applicable

Thanks,
Haris