cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DX Series phone and Android AV and MDM

raun.williams
Level 3
Level 3

Hey guys.. our Telephony group is looking at deploying DX series phones through out but as a security person am concerned about Android in the environment though it's an SE version.  Has anybody ran av/am on these phones?

What about managing with an MDM, such as MobileIron?  I tried the MobileIron client awhile back and it wouldn't even start on these phones

1 Reply 1

gilmoremj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Raun,

I have administered MobileIron for a couple years now and I can tell you that not all Android devices will work on MDM. If the app won't launch, it's likely not supported. MobileIron tends to make sure the "bread and butter" androids such as Galaxy, Nexus, and Note series are running smoothly, but some of the others are not so lucky.

I can see that the Cisco DX Series Security Overview notes that MDM is supported, but that's a pretty aggressive statement to make considering the broadness of MDM providers and the different types of android devices saturating the market.

I have no experience with AV/AM on these phones. Are there concerns other than Google Play, USB port, and unkown sources that would require the AV/AM? The reason I state this is that the Google Play, USB port, and unkown sources can be disabled by the admin. Keep me honest, but those features disabled coupled with Android SE (which is very good) would make it quite difficult to install virus and malware on the DX series.

DX Series Security Overview:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/collaboration-endpoints/desktop-collaboration-experience-dx600-series/white-paper-c11-731685.html 

I hope this helps in some way.

-Matt