Views
Helpful
Replies

E.164 / local and long distance calls

linuxchild
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I'm using E.164 in the global directory and over our system , the cluster is located in Canada

My question how do you do or can tell if the number in the directory is local or long distance number

I need to find a rule for the transformation because our operator does not support adding 1 in front of local calls

This is first time I work with north American dial plan so any hints are welcome

Thank you in advance

6 Replies 6

brmeade
Level 4
Level 4

Just use a Called Party Transformation to match \+1.XXX! where XXX is the local area code and strip pre-dot.

Hello

Well but it seems that some other area codes are also considered as local calls

I will find you an example and post it here

Hi,

First you need to understand dial-plan.

contact a person locally as him how he dials normally like from cell phone or home phone.

then if possible contact service provider and ask for local and LD number ranges.

then create more specific route pattern and then strip  pre dot.

for example say you have loca: 1-555-222-1111, LD: 1-222-333-5555

then for local: 1555XXXXXXX and send that call as local

for LD: 1222XXXXXXX and send that call as LD.

Hope this helps.

Please rate helpful.

Hello

Thank you , I think I did not express my question in a good way

I have a full understanding of how digit manipulation works

when calling the my operator he gave me this link http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?exch=171030

and told me this link wil lgive me the local calls from point of my PRI

My area code 514 my prefix is 403

so is it safe to consider that local calls will always be  514 XXX XXXX 

I'm afraid if I take this rule , users will try other area code which supposeed to be local by adding 1 to the begining of the number

or another example maybe some calls will start with 514 but if I change the prefix it will become long Distance

To be honest European Dial plan is easier :-)

Thank you in advance

Hi,

its quite difficult to understand.

Let me say,

let user dial anything, but if you know what to send to service provider manipulate digits accordingly.

So if user is dialing 1 or not doesn't make big difference by far when you know its local or long distance call.

If I am not wrong local and long distance will never have same area code.

You have to adjust your dial-plan according to habits of user for dialing as they will not change that overnight.

You should contact local person ask, how they dial.

Normally I follow below questionnaire,

What is your access code for making calls outside the building.(9 or 0)

How are outside emergency services contacted?  Do the users dial 911 or 9-911 directly?

How do you dial station to station internally? 4 digit, 5 digit etc

How are local calls dialed - 9 + 7 digits, 9+1+ 10 digits, 9+10 digits?  Is there a difference between local calls and local cell calls in term of dialing?

How are long distance calls dialed - 9+1+ 10 digits?

How are international calls dialed - 9 + 011+ country code + #?

And accordingly creat RP with digit manupulation.

Hope this helps.

Please rate helpful.

If I am not wrong local and long distance will never have same area code.

Hello

the problem that some other area code are considered as local calls but it will depend on their prefix

Exampel

say my area code is 514 , call to 330 will be local only if it is 330-249-XXXX

calls to 330-233-XXX is considered as long distance call

I found a good non offfical site to give me all local calls for Monteral please find it below 

http://www.localcallingguide.com/lprefix.php?exch=171030&dir=

as you notice it is a pain to optimise this via Regex , so I just made a mass import

Thank you all for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: