Views
Helpful
Replies

E164 approach and interdigit timeout

joergwesely
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm designing a new system and want to use the E164 approach. I'm running into interdigit timeout issues and would like to hear your opinions about it. The CUCM version is 8.5.

The internal DNs are like this:

\+493012351XX in Paritition PT_OWN

to allow 4-digit intrasite-dialling, I have a translation pattern

51XX in PT_BERLIN_LOC2GLOB which  prefixes +49301234 and has has CSS_OWN_E164 containing PT_OWN only

for outside dialling, I have a route pattern

\+! in PT_PSTN pointing to the PSTN Gateway

and to allow "German-Style" dialling with 0 for an outside line I have a Translation pattern

00.! in PT_GER transforming to +... containing PT_PSTN

If I dial an internal extension using the E164 number from a 7942 SCCP phone (+ can be dialled by long-pressing *) or Webex Connect with CUCIConnect, I run into the interdigit timeout. That makes sense because there is this \+.!-Pattern, but this is how I understand the design guide. Do I understand something wrong here? Any ideas to avoid this issue?

thanks in advance for your replies

Jörg

10 Replies 10

john.nield
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Given user will still be dialling non E164 numbers why don't you just program the German dialplan into the UCM? and then leave the \+.! as just a wild card for IDD calls? IMHO i wouldn't use the translations to globalise numbers, instead i would just add these translations as route-patterns, i believe this is more elegant and simpler to manage, but this is just my opinion.

Regards

John

Hi,

what I would like to achieve ist to allow dialling in both ways- E.164, "German"-style and also "UK-Style" in a later stage. The system should be as scalable as possible.

The interesting question for me is that I have a dialplan overlap here (+49...-DDIs and the +!-Routepattern) what seems to cause the interdigit timeout- did I misunderstand the SRND here or is this a general problem with this design?

internal dialing does not really require e.164.  Are you trying to dial an extension number to go out of the pstn?

Hi,

I think on of the advantages of the E164-approach is that I can dial any number as E.164 (especially from a softphone like CUCIConnect) no matter if its an internal or external number. Do I have to live with the interdigit timeout here or is there a chance to get this clean?

What I also have observed is that I run in the interdigit timeout even if I dial the short number (51XX), I think it's the same issue as here:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/35719?tstart=0

there is no final answer to this thread yet- any news about it?

thanks in advance

Jörg

You probably have a generic route pattern that is waiting for interdigit timeout.  A route pattern like \+! or any pattern with ! at the end will cause interdigit timeout to be used.

Adam Compton

Yes, as described above, I have this pattern \+.!,

From my understanding, this is according to the design guide- or isn't it?

And from my understanding, I should not have interdigit timeouts when dialling the short number, because the translation pattern feeds the expanded E164 number back to the routing algorithm enBlock. Is there something wrong in my configuration? Or is this an issue with the CUCM?

The translation-pattern is going to have the inter-digit timeout as well.  If you want to avoid interdigit timeout, you need a more specific route pattern.  For example, if you are calling UK, have a route pattern with \+44XXXXXXXXXX

UK dialing is country code then 10 digits.  You can do that for the countries that you want 4 digit dialing.

This is no bug however, CUCM is working as designed.

Adam Compton

Although this is an old post I have hit the same problem and wanted to post about it.

In CUCM 9.x and earlier Directory Numbers cannot be marked urgent so T.302 does come into play when routing calls.

In CUCM 10.0 Directory Numbers can be marked urgent to avoid this issue.

I was facing the same issue here in Brazil, took a lot of time to me to figure it out. All extensions are in the format \+55XXXXXXXXXX (55=Brazil, XX=Two digits state code, XXXXXXXX=local number). The number were overlapping with the internation route pattern \+!. I replaced \+! with two other partners: 

1. \+[^5]!

2. \+5[^5]!

If you have a large cluster in different countries, you may need to create exceptions for each country code.

HTH

Felipe

Felipe Ramos
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I was facing the same issue here in Brazil, took a lot of time to me to figure it out. All extensions are in the format \+55XXXXXXXXXX (55=Brazil, XX=Two digits state code, XXXXXXXX=local number). The number were overlapping with the internation route pattern \+!. I replaced \+! with two other partners: 

1. \+[^5]!

2. \+5[^5]!

If you have a large cluster in different countries, you may need to create exceptions for each country code.

HTH

Felipe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: