cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

e164 Dial Plan Questions

nbourke2000
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently doing a CM installation with the path to PSTN through a SIP Trunk and a few questions have come up.

1. I want to allow dialling of either e164 or IENP (Ireland Numbering Plan) numbers on the phone. The documentation on the subject has left me a bit confused, how do I normalise IENP numbers to e164? I've updated the phones (9971s, 8961s & 7945s) to the latest firmware (9.1.1SR1) which has support for plus dialing.

2. I'm not sure how to setup a call pattern that will then match all e164 numbers prefererably without requiring a prefix digit.

So from a user perspective they can dial a 4 digit local extension number (e.g 1001), a 7 digit local number (1234567), a 8-10 digit national number which contains an a valid IENP area code (e.g. (01)1234567) or an e164 number (+35311234567) without needing any prefix.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys have.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

tobin hawkshaw
Level 1
Level 1

ok this is a standard setup without frills:

PHONE -----------------CUCM--------------------GW

you setup the GW incoming call setttings to globalises all incoming calling numbers:

subsciber prefix = +3531

national prefix = +353

international prefix = +

now you have the calling numbers for inbound with + attached to them in the phone call directory (regardless of any localistation done on the phones)

You would normaly localise these numbers using the 'calling party transformation' attached to the Device pool or phones so you dont get the + on the phone display (some end users dont like it)

in order for the phones to dial these numbers back without using the 'edit dial' or by actually entering the + you need a dial plan match:

\+3531! (anytime you want to recognise the + sign in a dial pattern you need to put a '\' in front of it to 'escape out' of its wildcard properties

if you need them to dial + and the standard non plus dial way you could create a set of translation patterns that append the + symbol onto the dialed number so dialed numbers always match the router pattern including the '+'. or just create two sets of route patterns.

the key thing to remember if you want to use it is expand everything up to the + dial (e164) number for the route pattern and then scale it back down for the PSTN or the phones.

----or-----

you have to create lots of route patterns in order to match the different outbound called numbers

hth

View solution in original post

yep, it will work fine

the timeout.....hmmmm......... you could append the # symbol after the '!' as use that to terminate the call.

CUCM should auto strip it off  (check this though as I dont have CUCM 8)

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

tobin hawkshaw
Level 1
Level 1

ok this is a standard setup without frills:

PHONE -----------------CUCM--------------------GW

you setup the GW incoming call setttings to globalises all incoming calling numbers:

subsciber prefix = +3531

national prefix = +353

international prefix = +

now you have the calling numbers for inbound with + attached to them in the phone call directory (regardless of any localistation done on the phones)

You would normaly localise these numbers using the 'calling party transformation' attached to the Device pool or phones so you dont get the + on the phone display (some end users dont like it)

in order for the phones to dial these numbers back without using the 'edit dial' or by actually entering the + you need a dial plan match:

\+3531! (anytime you want to recognise the + sign in a dial pattern you need to put a '\' in front of it to 'escape out' of its wildcard properties

if you need them to dial + and the standard non plus dial way you could create a set of translation patterns that append the + symbol onto the dialed number so dialed numbers always match the router pattern including the '+'. or just create two sets of route patterns.

the key thing to remember if you want to use it is expand everything up to the + dial (e164) number for the route pattern and then scale it back down for the PSTN or the phones.

----or-----

you have to create lots of route patterns in order to match the different outbound called numbers

hth

Hi Tobin,

Thanks for the response. What I have here is an MCS with Callmanager 8.0.3 installed. I have no gateways so I need to do the globalisation of incoming calling numbers on the Callmanager.

With the outbound dial plan will \+! work rather than the country specific \+3531!? And how do I begin dialing a vaild number on the SIP trunk without a very long wait period given the ! at the end of the pattern?

yep, it will work fine

the timeout.....hmmmm......... you could append the # symbol after the '!' as use that to terminate the call.

CUCM should auto strip it off  (check this though as I dont have CUCM 8)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: