Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

E911

what would cause the information showing on the caller ID on the 911 dispatcher phone be incorrect if the CER settings are correct?

14 Replies 14

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If your CER is configured to be integrated with your PSALI provider (like West or Red Sky) then you're integration might be broken.

If your CER is not configured to be integrated, then CER settings don't matter externally, they only matter internal to your business. You most likely need to update your PSALI information, with your PSALI provider (like your telco, West, Red Sky,e etc.).

@Anthony Holloway 

I am new to CER and phones and I have no idea what you just told me, all I know for sure is the the address configured for a location that called 911 was not the same as what we have configured in CER and I am not sure what to do to fix it and if it is related to the CER license

I would suggest you sign up for free over on ciscolive.com and check out the two sessions on 911 calling: BRKUCC-2004 and BRKCOL-3001. There's both a video to watch and a slide show to read through. Then, once you've got your feet wet, look at the CER Admin Guide, which explains everything you need to know about how CER the product works.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cer/11_5_4/english/administration/guide/cer0_b_cisco-emergency-responder-administration-guide-1154.html

There are a few different reasons why your address could be mismatched.

You mentioned licenses. If you're in a license violation, then CER will still work....somewhat....it just wont track any new phones it finds, or track a move of an existing phone. So, you'll want to fix your license violation first and foremost. To know if you are, you would login to PLM and check your product instances. CER is a little more tight lipped about being in a violation than CUCM or CUC.

@Anthony Holloway 

Been working on getting the licensing fixed for over a month now. I will definitely look into the free training thanks. So what does the phone tracking do? When I checked the call history on the CER console it looked as though it was doing the translation of the caller ID correctly but the 911 person who took the call said the caller ID did not match how or is that related to the CER phone tracking licenses? what is PLM sorry I do not known the acronyms

CER can track a phone's location...sort of...within your business.  I.e., Say someone unplugs their phone from floor 1, walks it upstairs to floor 2, and plugs it in.  Within 30 minutes, CER will "see" this phone move, and when the phone calls 911, CER will modify the calling parameters accordingly, such that the correct outgoing Caller ID is shown to the 911 operator.  That's the only thing you control in CER...the caller ID of your call to 911...if you are not directly integrated to a PSALI provider.

PLM = Prime License Manager, it's the software which tracks your license utilzation across CUCM, CUC and CER....oh no....more acronyms.

CUCM = Cisco Unified Communications Manager (aka the phone system)
CUC = Cisco Unity Connection (aka voicemail)

Then, like I was saying, the data the operator looks at comes from something outside of your business, and not from CER. If you don't know who manages your PSALI service (and thus your addresses), you should start with a call to your telephone company. If you were paying another company like West or RedSky, then you would talk to them instead.

@Anthony Holloway 

That is where I thought the issue was, the telcom but they think they have it entered correctly but I have them rechecking it and so far they won't respond back to me in the last week

The address, location, etc is driven as Anthony says - largely external to CER.

If you're not using a V911 service then it's completely external to CER. You would need to see how your telephony service provider handles updating this data, what you're allowed to send as the calling party number etc.

If you want to think of it this way:

There's a large phone book out there that has every telephone number, and information about those numbers including the type of phone, address, access information/notes, etc. That's updated either by your service provider or by you with the appropriate access from your service provider.

All CER wants to do is basically change the caller ID of the routed emergency call to a phone number that's listed in that giant emergency phone book. The location data and comments that you provide don't automatically go there without a V911 service which links the two things together.

So you'd want to look at the flow of this call and see did it match an ERL assignment, and what was the treatment specified there. You can go from there, if CER did what it was intended to do, then you see how the call went out of your network, and what happens there. If you look in /ceruser you can see what happened or search it.

@Adam Pawlowski

This all came to my attention because our local 911 dispatcher contacted me and told me that the address that showed up on there caller ID was different from the location that the called said they were at. I confirmed with the caller what there location was and confirmed that it was different than what 911 caller id received. I went into the CER system and found that the phone tracking licenses has expired and wondered if that was the reason that the caller ID on the dispatchers phone was wrong and it sounds more like it just helps you to located the exact phone, switch that the phone is attached too. I checked the call history on the CER for that call and it looks like it is configured to translate the information to the 911 dispatcher correctly and last but not least I checked with the telcom to see if they had the correct information.

So can you confirm that the CER license expiration have nothing to do with the caller ID are wrong?

I can't confirm the impact of lack of licensing in your organization. While I was typing this Anthony was answering you as well , here's what I pecked out

The administration guide says:

You must install new licenses within 60 days of installation or upgrade. If you do not install new licenses within 60 days, the Emergency Responder system stops tracking and updating the Phone Location.

If you're in non compliance I believe it just tracks up to the number of devices it can track and not beyond that which is also not ideal. I *believe*.

Phone tracking does locate the switchport the phone is on so that it can take an action based on this. It can also track by subnet, or manual definition.

If you're looking at it from this perspective:

[cid:image001.png@01D57EAF.1E18DC60]

The item on the left prescribes the treatment for a call, from the device(s) tracked here, that route through CER. Clicking on that shows you the ELIN it will attempt to masquerade the call as, and any onsite alerting needs.

"ALI Details" should match what is in the PS/ALI database for your purposes, but it doesn't cause it to do so unless you go and have it changed there.

Your telecom group should be able to tell you what MSAG data is applied to the ELIN you are outpulsing when an emergency call is made from that number. Or your service provider. In many implementations you need to do something to be able to even send something other than your lead billing telephone number which would just result in the street address that the service is established at being seen for all calls.

The CER administration guide explains most of this in reasonable detail, and, if you have the VMWare resources for it, you can install the software in demo licensing mode for 60 days to play with it and see what it does.

It is important to make sure that all the pieces work here for the safety of those involved, but, you'll do that best if you have a moment to look at the documentation for CER to see what it does, and then build your onion out from that to try and figure out which calls get to CER when, and where they go after CER redirects the call to some route pattern somewhere else.

More or less:

1) Phone makes a call to a number like any other phone call it can make

2) UCM says "ah that number goes to CER". This can be any number or many numbers.

3) CER says "Oh boy, an emergency call. Let me see if that phone is somewhere I know about due to tracking, manual, subnet, etc"

4) If CER knows where the phone is, it uses the ERL (location) treatment to:

a. Masquerade the number, if configured to do so.

b. Forward the call on to a specific pattern

c. Alert On Site Security

5) If CER doesn't know where the phone is, it uses the _default_ ERL to apply the above treatment, but, your on site will not know where the caller is, and it is likely wherever that call forwarded off to, public safety will not get a lot of useful detail.

CER is not complicated but it adds a lot of new acronyms to be aware of that's for sure, and a bunch of moving pieces have to be aligned.

The admin guide prescribes setting the system up with some specific pattern and partition names to minimize complication and so that others will understand what you've done after it is setup. Hopefully, whomever set yours up followed the same conventions to make it somewhat easy to decipher.

Adam

@Adam Pawlowski 

Great info but unfortunately I can not see the pic you included. I do not know when the licenses expired, I have only been here a little less than 7 months but they have been expired at least that long. We are looking to fix that but we have to wade through some bureaucracy to do that, I am going to re-read through everything you guys gave me and see if  can figure out what needes to be fixed

You know, there are professional services companies out there who know this stuff inside and out, and could take a lot of the guess work and headache away for you. Unless of course, you enjoy the stress and pressure of it all. :)

@Anthony Holloway 

Yes we know they hired it done and it quite a mess now and I have to fix it, lucky me

No, I said people who know it inside and out, not "barely able to spell CER"

Unfortunately, businesses don't generally care about quality, just money. You found a bad one, I'm afraid. 

Well, good luck. 

@Anthony Holloway 

I asked for that help now to see if I get it LOL thanks for the input it has been very helpful

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: