cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Easy Question

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

If a phone has made a call, and call control goes down, is the call disconnected?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

12 Replies 12

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hi

If you mean by call control your call manager , of course call will be down . This is because your IP phone gets (registeration , TFTP , call processing ) by your CUCM. IF CUCM down , and there is no subscriber all will be down.Please clarrif with more details , if my answer not meet your requirements.

Thank you

please rate all useful information

If the call is up and I am talking and the cucm cluster goes down, is my call I am in disconnected?

Hi

You mean all cluster (Pub and Sub) , for sure yes. Because when your cluser will be down there won't be registered gateways which are responsible for inbound and outgoing calls. This will be the reason , but the question here your IP phone after your cluser still register on SRST or how it continue work?.

Thank you

Assuming A is an IP Phone and B is... ???

If PSTN, what protocol and kind of connection??

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

Assuming A is an IP Phone and B is an IP Phone

Hi

i have a question for you ,if you do not mind?. Can you share with us , what about the status of your IP phones , still registered to your CUCM, but no calls?. your question regarding only making sure that the call down because of call control is down or you need help to get a solution?.Please make it clear to get more help.

Thank you

Assuming A is an IP Phone and B is an IP Phone

Calls would stay up until either party ends it, nothing else would be available, you would only see the end call softkey

HTH

java

cnuche
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This feature is called 'call preservation' here is the documentation for this feature:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/8_0_1/ccmsys/a02dvsup.html#wp1020706

Also see:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-3048

HTH

Christian Nuche

PDI HD Team.

As correctly answered by Jamie call between 2 phones will stay up and only supplementary feature such as hold/conference/transfer/etc will not be available for the reminder of the call.

If the call was between IP phone and PSTN caller then the preservation depends on protocol being (SIP, H323, MGCP) used and trunk type (SIP trunk, PRI, T1-CAS, POTS).

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

tirtha_tripathy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrick,

There are many things that has to be taken in to consideration while answering this question.

If the call is made from an IP Phone A to IP Phone B. The call should ideally stay up.

In case CUCM is also used as DHCP server for the IP Phone and IP Phones are about the finish the lease time then... the call will drop as the phone releases the IP and the in the phone console logs you will see the lease of IP. Release of IP means release of N/W too...

If the call is made from IP Phone to GW then....

what is the protocol used in the GW

MGCP, SIP, H323.

MGCP GW will drop all the calls as the the D-channel goes down as CUCM cluster goes down

Now SIP is dependent on options ping from CUCM to decleare SIP GW as dead but GW is will be good to run all the calls keep running.

Now H323 will keep the calls up but you have to consider few configs in CUCM and GW.

HTH

Regards,

Tirtha

mflavio
Level 1
Level 1

My 2 cents on this case:

By default H323 gateways would not keep calls up unless you enable Call Preservation at the gw and cucm.

http://voiceonbits.com/2010/06/25/h323-call-preservation/

Regards,

Flávio Marçal

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: