cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ELM 9.1 and Virtual Host hardware upgrade - any issues ?

andyhibbert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I've got a virtual ELM 9.1 server running on a non Cisco VM host in a lab environment.

The underlying host hardware is due to be upgraded. I'm told that the ELM virtual machine will be migrated and there will be no issues.

Is this the case ? There will be no changes to the ELM server, it will retain it's original IP address, host name etc.

Is there anything tying the licenses on this ELM to the original VM host hardware ?

Thanks

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ELM is not called out in the DocWiki so use the CUCM requirements. Virtualization on non-Cisco server hardware is now supported under the specs based model provided all requirements are met. vMotioning is supported with caveats but I wouldn't expect a hickup with ELM since it's not processing real-time data.

Is there anything tying the licenses on this ELM to the original VM host hardware ?

There is nothing attaching it to the ESXi host itself; however, pre-launch slide decks stated that it would use its own MAC address in the license file. I haven't been able to find post-launch documentation supporting this statement though. The MAC is generated in the VMX file when you create the VM and won't change later unless you copy the VM instead of moving it so you should be fine.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ELM is not called out in the DocWiki so use the CUCM requirements. Virtualization on non-Cisco server hardware is now supported under the specs based model provided all requirements are met. vMotioning is supported with caveats but I wouldn't expect a hickup with ELM since it's not processing real-time data.

There is nothing attaching it to the ESXi host itself; however, pre-launch slide decks stated that it would use its own MAC address in the license file. I haven't been able to find post-launch documentation supporting this statement though. The MAC is generated in the VMX file when you create the VM and won't change later unless you copy the VM instead of moving it so you should be fine.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Thanks for that.