Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable cluster-wide Call Park Number/Ranges parameter

cristian79
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

As per documentation when the Enable cluster-wide Call Park Number/Ranges parameter values is FALSE (default) the Call Park feature is implemented restricted to a specific Unified CM node.
However, a CUCM cluster is built with more than one subscriber in order to provide resilience and from what we have been told by Cisco the Call Park feature will try all the servers for a call park number even if the service parameter option Enable Clusterwide Call
Park Number/Ranges is set to FALSE.

The question is: how can the Call Park feature be restricted to a specific Unified CM node?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Hi,
the service parameter description says the following, which more or less confirms, what you have been told from Cisco:
"... This parameter will be removed in Cisco Unified Communications Manager release 9.0(1), at which time the call park feature will function clusterwide by default and the per-node field, Cisco Unified Communications Manager, on the Call Park Configuration window in Unified CM Administration will be removed. ..."

So my understanding is, that this parameter is still there, but useless and back to your question: This "feature" of node-specific park numbers is then not there any more.

But you can still try it and look how it works out.

TechLvr
Spotlight
Spotlight

Document below talks about Call Park feature on CUCM 14, and it seems like clusterwide parameter still applies.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/14/cucm_b_feature-configuration-guide-for-cisco14/cucm_mp_c6f1c31d_00_call-park-and-directed-call.html 

Here is my understanding of how it works.

Clusterwide feature disabled:-
When you create a call park number/range, CUCM asks you to select a node. This number/range will only be assoicated with the node that you select. Now, you can create the same number/range with a different partition on a second node for redundancy purposes. Even if the Clusterwide feaure is disabled, when you park a call on your new call park number, the feature will try both nodes in the above example as far as the parker CSS has access to both partions. In this scenario, if one of the nodes is down, the user can still continue to park the call on the same number/range without noticing any difference.

Clusterwide feature enabled:-
When the clusterwide feature is enabled, you don't have worry about creating the same Call Park number with different partitons and on multiple CUCM nodes. The same number/partition gets applied to all nodes. This option gives you better redundancy with less configuration steps.

Again, this is only based on my understanding of how the feature works.I hope this gives you enough info to be able to test the feature on your own as b.winter also suggested.