Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling call recording profile on all endpoints

Amarshakov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

What if I enable call recording and recording profiles on all telephones in my cluster (~500 endpoints) and will manage recording by my recording software? Will CUCM transfer voice traffic into recording software even when it is not expected? What are best practice of enabling recording profiles? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

It depends on your recording solution. Typically you set up the bib as the system level as enabled and ensure on the phone it is set to default so it looks at the service parameters. 

With voice recorders normally all the phones are associated with application user which is a jtapi user in the voice recorder. In cucm you set up the sip voice profile to use the route pattern to the recorder. Now because of jtapi, the recorder is now monitoring the status of the handset. When a call is made, the recorder is aware of it and captures the DN, the DN is checked by the recorder and if it needs to be recorded sends a start recording message to cucm. The cucm then instructs the BiB to send a duplicate rpt stream via the vocie recording profile and sip trunk to the recorder to start recording. If the DN is not in the recorder then the recorder doesn't send the start record message and so no rtp is sent

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

CommSouth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can enable the Call Recording profile for all end points or required selective endpoints depending on your internal requirement. What the endpoints which are CTI controlled and have configured a SIP Trunk to the Call recording server, for those CUCM will invite the Call recording as part of the call and the Call recording happens accordingly. You need to make sure you enable the required recording parameters as per your recording vendor specifications and most importantly they are BiB (Built-in-Bridge) support for Active Call Recording with CUCM and make sure your end points support BiB capabilities.

Regards,

Prasana Kumar.P

CommSouth

Head - Business Solutions

+919841027006

Regards,
Prasana Kumar.P
CommSouth,
Head - Business Solution
+91-9841027006

Scott Pedersen
Level 1
Level 1

If you enable recording on all your endpoints and all DN/DID's configured on them then you should expect all voice traffic to record for all those endpoints

From my experience, it works best to set Built-in-bridge to on instead of "default". Devices were giving issues with default at times in my environment.

iptuser55
Level 6
Level 6

It depends on your recording solution. Typically you set up the bib as the system level as enabled and ensure on the phone it is set to default so it looks at the service parameters. 

With voice recorders normally all the phones are associated with application user which is a jtapi user in the voice recorder. In cucm you set up the sip voice profile to use the route pattern to the recorder. Now because of jtapi, the recorder is now monitoring the status of the handset. When a call is made, the recorder is aware of it and captures the DN, the DN is checked by the recorder and if it needs to be recorded sends a start recording message to cucm. The cucm then instructs the BiB to send a duplicate rpt stream via the vocie recording profile and sip trunk to the recorder to start recording. If the DN is not in the recorder then the recorder doesn't send the start record message and so no rtp is sent

Hope that helps

The above describes "Selective Call Recording" with the Phone as the preferred source, versus the aforementioned "Automatic" which will prompt the UCM to send that invite automatically.

Selective is typically used with application control, for CTI monitoring as mentioned, or with some applications, allowing recording to be controlled by a user softkey or other function.

As mentioned there, there is typically an application user involved, so part of the fun of managing that is managing the device association of the application user as required when replacing, adding, moving, etc a device. Then setting the recording profile on the line, and somehow earmarking such if you're not setting up every line, so you know when you go to move/add/change the line or a line appearance that you have all the pieces set. The recording profile just describes the target number which is "dialed" to invoke the recorder, which is set to route across your targeted SIP trunk to trigger the call. UCM takes no action here if the recorder hasn't connected via JTAPI/CTI and isn't invoking recording on the devices.

Thank you! This is exactly what I wanted to know!