Views
Helpful
Replies

Enquiry about UC appliance dual vnics support

Karthika
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Could anyone please help me with the below query on the following Windows and Linux servers:

Cisco Unified Call Manager 10.5.2.10000-5 Virtual Appliance

Cisco Unity Connection Version 10.5.2.10000-5 Virtual Appliance

Cisco Contact Center 10.6.1.10000-39 Virtual Appliance

Cisco Expressway C & Expressway X8.5 Virtual Appliance

Our UC servers are currently connecting vnic1 , my colleague will add vnic0 to the same vswitch where vnic1 is attaching. Can UC servers support two vnics? If yes, any reconfiguration I need to proceed? Please advise.

Thanks In Advance.

5 Replies 5

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The applications will not be using 2 NICs, your VMWare vSwitch will have 2 NICs for redundancy in either active/standby or etherchannel mode, yet all apps (except EXP-E) will only have single vNIC assigned to them.  So, this way you don't have to worry about any NIC teaming on the application side as that is not supported, but have full physical NIC redundancy at the hardware level.

Good day. Noted with thanks for Jaime and Chris.

I supposed the commands is also applicable on virtual appliance (not UCS) & our versions below.

CUCM 10.5 / CUC 10.5/ UCCX 10.6
Disable secondary nic, run "set network failover enable", enable secondary nic.

How about the network redundancy on Expressway 8.5?

FYI. We are not using UCS. Instead we run UC virtual appliance on our Dell Blade with network modules.

set network failover

This command enables and disables Network Fault Tolerance on the Media Convergence Server network interface card.

Links I posted are applicable for any virtualized deployment and explain how network redundancy is achieved. None of those docs mention that command (because it's not applicable), have you thoroughly reviewed them?

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

As Jaime points out this command does not apply to virtualized appliances, so do not use it. UCS vs. Dell does not make a difference you still need to use VMware and provision network NIC redundancy at the VMware layer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: