cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enterprise Licensing Question

Ryan Gunn
Level 1
Level 1

So I have customer on CUCM version 9.X and they are adding DNS.  When they went to add DNS it spit out the error message that it will invalidate the license file.  I know on previous version of CUCM they used license MAC's and changing certain value would change the license MAC and then invalidate the license file, but do we really need to worry abut this with version 9 and ELM?  My gut tells me no, but I wanted to see if anyone knows for sure.

Thanks,

Ryan       

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Must be some esthetic bug that was not changed, changing DNS has no bearing on ELM, so you can disregard this.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ryan Gunn
Level 1
Level 1

ELM is also running on the same server.

Must be some esthetic bug that was not changed, changing DNS has no bearing on ELM, so you can disregard this.

HTH,

Chris

Thanks Chris and Rob.  I really appreciate the help on this.  A round of +5's on the house

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ryan,

I'm going with my buddy Chris (+5) I believe it would be related to this

bug;

CSCtz97055 Bug DetailsBug #26 of 44 | < Previous | Next >

CLI "set network hostname < hostname>" providing wrong warning
Symptom:
The CLI "set network hostname < hostname>" provides wrong warning messsage.
Conditions:
The CLI "set network hostname < hostname>" when executed in UCM, we get the warning such as

"WARNING: Changing this setting will invalidate software license
on this server. The license will have to be re-hosted."

With  the Enterprise License Manager introduction in 9.0, we are not having  old license model where we have the DLUs in the UCMs. Now the UCMs don't  manage the license and it's centralized into Enterprise License  Manager. So the above warning message will be confusing the customers. A  possible message would be of something like the following:

?To  avoid license synchronization failures, delete the product instance from  the Enterprise License Manager managing this server's licenses before  changing network settings. You will have to re-add the product instance  after the network settings have been changed.?

Workaround:
No Workaround
Status Status
Fixed 

Severity Severity
3 - moderate

Last Modified Last Modified
In Last Year  

Product Product
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)    

Technology Technology

1st Found-In 1st Found-in
9.0(1.1)  

Fixed-In Fixed-in
9.1(0.98000.6)
9.1(0.98000.23)
1.0(0.98000.42)
9.1(1.10000.11)

Cheers!

Rob

"I don't know how, I don't know when
But you and I will meet again " 

- Tom Petty

Hi Rob,

I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some additional insight on an upcoming task.

I need to change DNS IP Addresses on CUCM (Pub + 3Subs), CUC Active/Passive Pair, UCCX HA pair and IM&P HA pair.

I have seen a lot of different thought on the process.  Do you agree with the following high-level process and my assumptions:

CUC DNS IP Address Change Process (CUC version: 9.1.2TT1.11900-2TT1)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Go to CUC Pub CLI, do show network eth0 detail to identify existing DNS IP addresses used

2. From CUC Pub CLI, change primary and secondary DNS IP Addresses

3. Go to CUC Sub CLI, change primary and secondary DNS IP Addresses

4. Go to CUC P/Sub and make sure new DNS addresses are now showing

5. If both CUC Servers show new DNS IP Addresses – we are now done with change

6. There is NO requirement to modify the ELM server prior to the DNS change or afterwards

7. There is NO requirement to reboot either of the CUC servers

8. There is NO service impact to this change at all

Would this process above be the same for CUCM, UCCX and IM&P all running version 9.1.....

I ask because I've seen other posts saying to delete product instance off ELM before changing DNS ip addresses and then re-adding back into ELM after rebooting servers?

Your process appears correct, there is no impact to ELM when just changing DNS servers, and not actual IP/Hostname of the applications.

I dont recall exatly, but servers may ask you to reboot after the change, they definitely do when you change the actual domain, but I dont recall if that is the same case after just pointing to new DNS.