Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error: IPv4 TFTP Error

I am unable to get my new CP-8861 IP Phone up and running. The phone hangs on the "Phone is registering".

Any help to get me started, with my first Cisco phone, is much appreciated.

Setup:

1)      It's connected directly to my ISP router using a LAN port,

2)      DHCP enabled,

3)      It has an IP address registered + DNS address in place,

4)      *There are no TFTP servers registered (the problem)!

Status messages:

1)      No IPv4 TFTP,

2)      TFTP error: SEP1CD...cnf.xml,

3)      No thrust list installed.

Any ideas? Thanks.

/Lucien

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sure, if you have Spark account with proper licensing to allow phone registration.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sounds like you're missing the TFTP server configuration. You can either set your router to hand out DHCP option 150 for the TFTP server or configure manually on the phone. The TFTP server should point to the CUCM server running this service.

Brandon

Hi Chris and Brandon. Thanks for your replies.

I cannot find any "DHCP option 150" in my router... So, I have to configure the phone manually. 

Where can I find the IP's pointing to the CUCM server?

In the phones IPv4 setup, i can provide the IPs for: TFTP server 1 and TFTP server 2....

Is that correct?

Thanks.

For testing you can certainly change from DHCP to Static ip (just use the same IP) and that will allow you to enter the IP address of your TFP server. It would be recommended though to simply add option 150 to your phone DHCP scopes.

I have now changed from DHCP to static (using same IP). 

I don't have an IP address to any TFTP server. Where can i find TFTP IP?

This is my first Cisco IP phone. Am I required to use a Cisco switch to get the phone up and running? Or can I use thirdparty router from my ISP?

Thank you. 

This was my original question, what system are you attempting to connect to. Sounds like you do not have Cisco Communications Manager or CME. The phone by itself is just a dummy SIP device, you need to register it to either a PBX or SIP register/proxy. There are providers out there that allow you to register SIP devices directly to them if that is your desire.

Allright Chris. You are right. I don't have Cisco Communications Manager or CME. 

How do I get access to Communications Manager and/or use a SIP register/proxy?

I just want to configure the phone and start using it... :-)

CUCM and CME have to be purchased from Cisco via Cisco reseller, they are not open source.

There are some open source IP-PBX such as Asterisk, but if you just want to use one phone, PBX is an overkill.  There are many cloud based providers that allow you to register SIP phones for small monthly/yearly fee, you just need to google them as I've never registered directly with any of them.

I want to try and register my endpoint using the Spark application. Would that qualify as a IP-PBX to get the phone up and running?

Sure, if you have Spark account with proper licensing to allow phone registration.

Chris... thanks for your help! You got me going in the right direction.

Have a great day.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What system are you attempting to register to?

Spark is not available in Europe I am told.

Is that really the case?

That is not true Spark is supported in many European countries, I am unable to locate a detailed list of which features are available in what country, but here is list of available languages:

https://support.ciscospark.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1342995-change-the-language-cisco-spark-uses-

For specific feature availability in specific country you can contact your Cisco account team or your Cisco partner.

Actually, here is better link with Spark availability:

https://support.ciscospark.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2724605-cisco-spark-availability