Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ERROR While Adding Subscriber to the CUCM Cluster - 8.6.2

Hi,

Currently I have built a cluster with version - 8.6.2.21900-5. The cluster consists of PUB and two Subscribers which is currently being used. I am now trying to add a new Subscriber over the WAN from another location.

When I try add the subscriber to the current cluster I am getting an error.

I have attached the error details and also CUCM PUB details for your reference.

We tried to install the Subscriber on both an MCS and a UCS server. Also the opened all ports for IP to IP connectivity between the PUB and the new SUB IP address. The ping responses between sites are good. Also we did remove the the new SUB entry from the PUB>Server and added again. We had restarted the Publisher and tried installing the new SUB again but got the same error.

Please help with your valuable suggestions.

Thank you.

15 Replies 15

Jagpreet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Joseph,

Can you please attach the complete install logs to the post.

Regards,

Jagpreet

Hi Joseph,

Just a guess which is in CUCM version 8.6(2)

CSCub14050 - Unable to add a new subscriber to the CUCM Cluster

Description

Symptom:

Receive the following error after entering in the security password:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Connectivity check to () failed.
Unable to connect to .
- Is the IP address and/or security password entered correctly?
- Is the IP address correct for ?
- Is the security password correct for ?
- Is the network connection to up?
- Is powered on?
...may possibly also see...
Configuration validation with () failed.
Configured first node is not a First Node.
- Is entered correctly?
- Is the correct first node for this node?
....the aforementioned is *usually* an indication that the security password was erroneously entered or the pubname was wrong.
Conditions:
A large banner size in combination with a small amount of allocated memory may result in the inability to add a new subscriber to the CUCM cluster.
After verifying that the security password is correct, i.e. that one is *not* fat fingering the password.
more /usr/local/platform/conf/platformConfig.xml
...followed by...
/usr/local/bin/base_scripts/InstallWizard -p
If the hash values are the same this shows customer is entering the password in correctly.
have also eliminated that the default gateway is accessible, full network connectivity is in place (packet capture at pub & sub verifying all packets sent are received).
Workaround:
Reduce the number of characters in the banner.
The Banner can be modified under....
OS Admin -> Software Upgrades -> Customized Logon Message

regds,

aman

Hi Jagpreet,

I have attached the install logs along with the thread as per your request.

Thank you.

Regards,

Joseph Chirayath.

vikas_ruhil
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joeseph,

Just want to ask few more quick questions regarding your issue may be i can help.

1. Can you provide the UCS platform detail including hardware version and conguration.

2. Did you face this issue when you were trying to install SUB on LAN and on same Platform?

3. Are you using VMWARE for virtualization if yes then what version?

4. Or are you trying to install it on different devices ?

Regards

Vikas Ruhil

Network Consultant

NCS PTE LTD

Hi Vikas,

I am attaching the details below for your reference -

1. Can you provide the UCS platform detail including hardware version and conguration.

I tried instaliing on both UCS and MCS, The version of the UCS is C220-M3, Since I can see the same error on the MCS. I dont think its a platform related issue.

2. Did you face this issue when you were trying to install SUB on LAN and on same Platform?

No, Installing SUB on LAN did not have any issues.

3. Are you using VMWARE for virtualization if yes then what version?

Yes, I am using VMWARE 5.0

4. Or are you trying to install it on different devices ?

Like mentioned before I have tried on an MCS over the WAN and saw the same error.

Thank you.

Regards,

Joseph Chirayath.

Pawan Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joseph,

I think the new SUB is unable to access the DNS server. Are you using any DNS server for your call manager cluster ? Can you please check the connectivity between your New SUB and DNS server and make sure your dns server has reverse lookup entry for both new SUB and PUB.

Regards,

Pawan Arora

Hi Joseph,

Are u using the Bootable media of 8.6.2.21900-5 to build on MCS hardware 7845I3  or u have have first built the server on 8.0 and then, upgrading  to 8.6.2.21900-5 ?

regds,

aman

Hi Aman,

I am using a bootable media for version 8.6.2.21900-5 when I tried both on the MCS and the UCS servers.

Thank you.

Hi Joseph,

The reason why I am asking u about installation with bootable since I got stuck in a similar kind of situation where the installation was getting aborted after doing all netowrk, security/Platform and application  password check.We did not have DNS .

The MCS server was 7835I3 but in your case it is happening for UCS as well.

We started with 8.0 installation , completed it and did upgraded successfully to 8.6 using patch but were somewhere wrong.

Again we wanted to build 8.0 but were not able to do it because of the bug CSCts38983.

I had gone through logs but could not find any error to best of my knowledge.

regds,

aman

Hi Pawan,

I am not giving any DNS server IP entries at the time of installaiton, The error happens after all the network components are checked. The new subscriber is able to find the Publisher server and is able to validate its presence.The error happens at the database installaiton phase.

Moreover all the server entries are done using IP address on the Publisher.

Thank you.

Hi Joe,

I agree with Pawan. Its a DNS reachability issue. Following are the steps to resolve the issue.

Check installation logs and collect the dump files for install logs. For this you can use the Cisco Unified Real-Time Monitoring Tool on the Publisher.

The install log shows this error, which is gathered via USB drive after installation failure:

01/26/2010 14:27:09 IPM|(CAPTURE) Tue Jan 26 14:27:09 2010 dbllib.getDataFromPub  DEBUG:  |<:DEBUG>

The main cause of this error is that the Subscriber server cannot access the DNS server. Complete these steps in order to resolve the issue:

1. Ensure connectivity from the switch port of the new Subscriber to the DNS server .

2. Make sure your DNS server has a reverse name lookup entry for the new Subscriber and the Publisher.

3. Test nslookup with this:

- IP address of the server          - Hostname of the server          - FQDN of the server

for both the Subscriber and the Publisher.

4. Ensure you do not use an underscore in the server name of the Publisher or the new Subscriber. This is a limitation of the Microsoft DNS servers.

5. Linux is case sensitive so ensure all hostnames and FQDNs are in sync.

6. After you complete these steps, start the installation process of the Subscriber.

7. When the First Node Configuration displays, choose No to configure the new server as a subsequent node.

8. Complete the procedure to configure a subsequent node in the cluster.

With these steps, you can make the DNS server reachable and install the Subscriber.

Here is the reference you can follow. That is mentioned for CUCM 7.x but same for 8.x

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080b26146.shtml

Thanks

regards

Vikas Ruhil

Hi Ruhil,

I have requested the firewall team and the DNS team to open the ports on the firewall between the IPT servers and to make the necessary entries on the DNS servers. I will try to restart the installation once I get the confirmation from both the teams.

As a query, I had built the Publisher and the two Subscribers locally earlier when the DNS was not reachable. The Publisher and the two subscribers completed installation and is currently in production. Do you think that the DNS IP address connectivity is creating the issue. If yes how was I able to complete the installation successfully for both the local subscribers.

Kindly provide me the justification for the same.

Thank you.

nikshah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

When you have setup your forward and reverse lookup on the DNS server try running utile network host ip,host name,find of the subscriber from the pub and see if you get a response , obviously you wouldn't get local resolution as it ain't added to etc/hosts but external resolution should return an entry.

Hope this helps

Niket

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hello Everyone,

I had checked DNS connectivity and DNS entries from the remote site. I was able to reach the DNS server also when I did an 'nslookup' and I was able to do both forward and reverse resolution for all my IPT servers.

Fortunately I was able to find the problem, it was an oversight from the firewall team. When the request was sent to open the ports between the two IP address (PUB and NEW SUB over WAN) the team had only opened the ports one way instead of opening it both ways. As soon as I opened all the ports bidirectionally on the firewall between the two sites I was able to install the new subscriber successfully.

Thank you all once again for your valuable time and suggestions.

Thank you.

Regards,

Joseph Chirayath.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: