Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway C and E cluster

bluesea2010
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

If  we create expressway E cluster  , does it work active active or active standby 

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
You can cluster up to 6 Expressway appliances and virtual machines to increase capacity and provide redundancy, 4 servers are active-active, the remaining 2 are passive and will only become active if needed.

Hi,

If I  have two vce-e and  two vce-c  can I make  an active standby cluster .

two node cluster for E  and two node cluster for C .

I really don't need active active , just active standby , is that  possible .

Any guidelines 

Thanks 

With a cluster of two, all peers will be active at the same time. It's only when you have a cluster of five or six that the extra peers will be passive. You can achieve a hot-standby though, simply put the second server into maintenance mode, but will require someone to bring it out of maintenance mode when it's needed and because of this delay the failover of services.

Hi,

Partner says it is really difficult to implement vc e and c cluster , and trouble shooting will be very difficult 

Is that true ? 

What is pros and cons 

Another option to achieve active-passive with just two peers is to use SRV records, set one with a higher priority over the other.

It's not difficult to setup a VCS cluster, recommend you take a look at the VCS Cluster Creation and Maintenance Deployment Guides.  Pros to a cluster is you get increased capacity and redundancy in case of failure.  The biggest con of not running a cluster is in the case of failure, you won't be able to make any calls until the server is restored.