cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extend and connect with SNR for same user.

Rajkumar Yadav
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Is it possible to have the extend and connect feature to work with SNR for same RD.

As per the notes in the feature for extend and connect, when the user log out of Jabber profile, RD will be marked inactive.

This behavior is undesired as the calls will be dropped for the user and PBX phone will not ring in such scenario.

Here the PRI is terminated directly on Mitel PBX,  connectivity between CUCM and PBX is using SIP Trunk.

For CUCM PRI termination is via PBX.

when the incoming call comes from PRI mitel suppose to send the call directly to CUCM without ringing the mitel phones.

When Jabber receives the call then it send the call to Mitel phone via extend and connect feature.

When Jabber logs  out then call will be never sent to Mitel phone as this RD is inactive and CUCM bydefault send the call to voicemail.

Requirement is when jabber logs out then mitel phone should ring and via CUCM.

If SNR is configured for same user with same RD then it should ring the Mitel phone even if the Jabber is log out.

Regards,

Raaj

13 Replies 13

Deepak Mehta
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Raj,

CTI RD(used for jabber extend and connect)  is controlled via Jabber soft client as they are tied together same owner end user .

so if Jabber logs out there is no controlling figure for remote RD profile.

Warm Regards,

Deepak

Hi Deepak, 

Thanks for reply

That's the worry point in above setup where the call is sent to CUCM directly and it's on CUCM to send the call to PBX phone at any cost even the jabber profile is logout.

I don't think call forward unregistered will work as CTI device will be still registered.

Also SNR and Extend & Connect can it be possible. so if the Jabber is logout it should ring to remote destination.

So SNR and Extend&Connect will work together ? I'm looking to hear something on this point precisely.

Regards,

Raaj

Deepak Rawat
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As you might be aware that SNR and Extend & Connect are two different features altogether and even though they have similarities yet they are very much different from each other. If the remote user want to keep using BYOD concept to accept calls, then he/she will need to remain login in the Jabber, the moment they log out of Jabber E&C will mark the RD as inactive and will no longer function. I do not understand a reason that why the users just can't simply remain logged in using Jabber to keep using E&C functionality if they really had to use it.

That being said, there is no alternative users will need to remain logged into Jabber for E&C to work which in turn will keep ringing their own home device to accept the calls.

Regards

Deepak

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for the reply.

This is Migration phase and user's are top management level user, they expect atleast one should ring either their PBX phone or Jabber.

Could you please read my environment points which i mentioned in my post where the 

"

Here the PRI is terminated directly on Mitel PBX,  connectivity between CUCM and PBX is using SIP Trunk.

For CUCM PRI termination is via PBX.

when the incoming call comes from PRI mitel suppose to send the call directly to CUCM without ringing the mitel phones.

When Jabber receives the call then it send the call to Mitel phone via extend and connect feature.

When Jabber logs  out then call will be never sent to Mitel phone as this RD is inactive and CUCM bydefault send the call to voicemail."

I have gone through the document for SNR and E&C where SNR uses the RD profile and E&C uses CTI RD concept, however both points to remote destination (number's).

My precise question again " Can't a user have both SNR and E&C, so if the calls comes to CUCM and hits the extension with Jabber log out then the SNR RD comes to play"

Regards,

Raaj

Hi Deepak,

Please have a look at unified mobility section.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmfeat/CUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-features-services-guide-100/CUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-features-services-guide-100_chapter_010111.html

Unified Mobility

The Unified Mobility feature allows users to answer incoming calls to their enterprise extension on either their Cisco Unified IP phone or a remote destination, such as a mobile phone, home phone, or hotel phone. Users can move active calls between their Cisco Unified IP phone and their mobile phone without losing the connection. This feature requires configuration of Remote Destination Profile device type.

The Extend and Connect feature allows users to answer incoming calls on any of their Cisco Unified IP phones or remote destination phones under the control of Cisco Jabber. However, connected (active) calls cannot be moved between the Cisco Unified IP phone and the remote destination phone. Therefore, Extend and Connect provides application control over the remote phone, but does not support mobility features such as being able to move the call to a Cisco Unified IP phone. This feature requires configuration of CTI Remote Device type.

Users who want the capabilities of both Unified Mobility and Extend and Connect may configure the same remote destination on the Remote Device Profile and CTI Remote Device types when the Owner ID of both device types is the same. This configuration allows Cisco Mobility features to be used concurrently with Extend and Connect. The ability to configure the same remote destination on both device types is supported using Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 10 or later.

Regards,

Raaj.

Great info.+5.

But here this talks about for two different clients ,Jabber- CTI RD- extended and connect?

Phone - RD - SNR?

if Jabber is logged out then only phone SNR feature would work.

I will test this and update.

Hi Deepak,

Appreciate your effort.

Please can you please test without considering the IP Phone.

Only with J4W and remote destination.

Regards,

Raaj

voip7372
Level 4
Level 4

It will work.  Just to be clear (and others have mentioned this too))...Single Number Reach (also known as 'Mobility' and 'Mobile Connect') and Extend and Connect for Jabber are totally different features/functions (and Jabber + Extend and Connect/CTI Remote device will eat up an Enhanced Plus license, but a phone with SNR enabled will only consume an Enhanced license).

Single Number reach requires a Remote Destination Profile assigned to the user's account and Mobility enabled on their end user account.

Extend and Connect requires the Jabber device PLUS the CTI Remote Device.  Of course, all these devices and lines should be properly associated with the end user.

Anyway, I just tested this.  I had my Jabber client open with an external number defined as the number and I also had single number reach enabled.  If I call my number, the number I defined in Jabber rings (via the CTI remote device) and my single number reach number (a different external number) rings as well.  When I exit out of Jabber and call my number again, the call still rings out to the external number defined for single number reach.

One thing to be careful of is that you need to use an outside number for extend and connect. (or at least CUCM needs to think it's an outside number) and you can't use the very same number as the remote number for both extend and connect and single number reach.

I noticed someone pasted this text in from Cisco:  

"Users who want the capabilities of both Unified Mobility and Extend and Connect may configure the same remote destination on the Remote Device Profile and CTI Remote Device types when the Owner ID of both device types is the same."

But this does NOT work for me.  I have to use different external numbers, otherwise it won't let me define the same number for both extend and connect and single number reach.  I verified my cti remote device, remote destination and remote destination profile are assigned to my user id, but it still won't let me use the exact same number for both features.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

My requirement is same destination i.e. PBX extension for E&C and SNR.

Will it work ?

Regards,

Raaj.

It doesn't work for me if I try to use the same number for the remote destination (CUCM 10.5) but I don't know why yet.  I checked my Remote Destination Profile & CTI Remote Device (and the line on both of those) and my CSF device (Jabber for Windows) and I verified that everything is assigned to my end user account/ID.  It just won't work for me.  

On the Remote Destination page for the remote number in question, I also checked the box that says "Enable Extend and Connect - Allow this phone to be controlled by CTI applications (e.g. Jabber)" ...but it still doesn't work.  On the Jabber client, when I try to select 'Use other number for calls' I see the remote number there that I created on CUCM and I select it...but then Jabber says "Setting phone" for a moment and then says "Unable to connect".  It won't let me set that number.  

Extend and connect as well as SNR works fine for me as long as I use a different number.  So far I haven't figured out why it won't work as advertised, using the SAME remote number. 

Hi,

Thank you for the detail testing, I think i have to check with Cisco PDI may be to confirm on this.

I will update you once i have any update.

Regards,

Raaj

Hi,

Could you please try below this and let me know the result.

"When users shut down or sign out of the Jabber client, the remote destination is marked Inactive.
When remote destinations are inactive, calls to the DN are routed to voicemail by default. Administrators can select the option to always forward calls to all remote destinations based on their schedule when using third-party voicemail.

Can we put the same number which was entered for E&C RD and test if the Jabber is log out, then call's to voicemail number which would be E&C RD"

Appreciate your help.

Regards,

Raaj.

Hi, 

Today did testing on cucm 11 and found this option,under Associated Remote Destinations.

"Route calls to all remote destinations when client is not connected."

once checked even if the client is off call goes to the PBX Phone or mobile phone.

Attached is the snapshot.

Regards,

Raaj.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: