cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Firmware 9.3.2 upgrade 8945 over POE

Alan Brown
Level 4
Level 4

Curious....has anyone successfully upgraded from 9.2.x to 9.3.2.11 SCCP firmware on Cisco 8945 telephone over a POE connection?  I have handful of the 8945 phones and have been able to upgrade over POE in the past to prior firmware releases.  I have to plug in a AC adapter to successfully upgrade to SCCP 9.3.2.11 firmware.  The 8941 phone upgrades without problems to 9.3.2.11 over POE without problems.

Have worked with Cisco TAC but unable to resolve.

8 Replies 8

Anas Abueideh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Alan,

I upgrade to version 9.3 firmware over POE and the upgrade goes well without any failure.

I face another problem after the upgrade, 8945 phone can't access corporate direcotry. due to that I revert back.

is this the problem you are talking about

Anas

Thanks for replying Anas, I don't recall having problems with the Directory but will check when I get back in the office tomorrow.  I'm experiencing problems with the 8945 phones not requesting the firmware from the TFTP server over POE on bootup.

When I plugin AC adapter the phones upgrade without problems consistently, but over POE all phones fail to upgrade.

We are running 8.6.2 on the CUCM and the different switch types we are using are 3526 and 6506.

best,

Alan B,

Anas, for the directories issue check out this document: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-25559.  If you did not install the device pack this is a known problem and requires the device pack for directories to work properly.  Reason being due to security by default on 9-3-1 the phones cannot download their TFTP config files properly causing the phone services not to work correctly.

Alan, I also have successfully upgraded an 8945 firmware to 9-3-2 using POE.

Hi Joe,

thanks for your reply, it is really helpful. it describes my issue exactly

Anas

Steve Snodgrass
Level 1
Level 1

Alan, I have successfully updated 8945 phones to SCCP 9.3.2 using PoE.  I'm not sure why you are having difficulty.

I'm using CUCM 9.0 and 2960 PoE switches.  Ultimately I'm going to the 9.3.2 SIP firmware, but since you can't upgrade directly to SIP 9.3.2 from firmware versions earlier than 9.3.1, we routinely let unconfigured phones upgrade themselves to the SCCP 9.3.2 firmware so they can make it to the latest SIP firmware.

Alan, what switch model are you using?  I tested with a 3560 running c3560-ipbasek9-mz.150-1.SE3.

I left out an important piece of information, our CUCM sits behind a firewall. 

We are using the FWSM's and after seeing the feedback here I worked with one of our fireall network techs to place the phone on the CUCM network and the 8945 IP phone upgraded to 9.3.2 without problems.

Our firewall tech mentioned that our Unix team experienvced problems with TCP-SACK sending large amounts of data through the FWSM's and had to make adjustments to their servers.

The BUG CSCsi54863 looks like it describes potential problems with TCP-SACK support or lack of.  I see in the packet captures the from the 8945 it negotiates TCP-SACK.  I'm working with our Firewal team now to see if we can resolve this problem. 

OK, we fixed the problem by upgrading our FWSM to a release that allowed us to disable TCP-SACK.  Of all the different phone types we have the 8945 was the only one that was affected by TCP-SACK.  The way I understood it, was the FWSM was allowing the 8945 IP phone to negotiate TCP-SACK with the CUCM.  Was seeing alot of duplicate and re-transmits in a packet capture. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: