cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

firmware update via usb instead of tftp

wfx1
Level 1
Level 1

hello please can you advise on updating the firmware for this old 881V..  i was going to try tftp (following this guide for 800-series routers) but then realized there is a usb port in the front. 

can i update the firmware via usb instead of tftp?

6 Replies 6

wfx1
Level 1
Level 1

i found this guide for a 3750 switch .. maybe the same method is adaptable to the 800 series ISR?

also this old thread from 2010.  maybe this is better for the 880-voice?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per the documentation :

One USB 1.1 port for security eToken credentials, booting from USB, and loading configuration.

Once you connect the USB with IOS in it. Look you able to view the USB and IOS image.

Then proceed with upgrading.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Depends on the USB thumb drive used but, yes, it is very much possible (and I've used the USB port to do upgrades quite extensively).

@Leo Laohoo wrote:
Depends on the USB thumb drive used but, yes, it is very much possible (and I've used the USB port to do upgrades quite extensively).

do you have any suggestion on compatible USB drives and how to format?  I tried cruzer 4GB with 2GB FAT16 partition following this guy .. and i could access the usb drive  from the rom monitor, but it's not working from the privileged exec prompt:

%USBFLASH-5-CHANGE: usbflash0 has been inserted!
%USB_HOST_STACK-6-USB_FLASH_READY_TEST_TIME: USB flash 'Ready' test time over 2 seconds.
%USB_HOST_STACK-3-USB_FLASH_READY_TEST_FAILED: USB flash failed to pass 'Ready' test.
%USBFLASH-3-DEVSTARTSTOP: usbflash0 MSCD_StartStop failure in usbflash_mscd_scsi_listener!

c881v#dir usbflash0:
          ^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

@wfx1 wrote:

do you have any suggestion on compatible USB drives and how to format? 

Samsung Bar 16 GbSamsung Bar 16 Gb

thanks .. it never occurred to me to try a /newer/ flash .. i got it working with a verbatim 32GB (http://www.microcenter.com/product/487849/32gb-pinstripe-usb-30-flash-drive,-black)

0487849_442582.jpg