Views
Helpful
Replies

forward to CUE mailbox

travisbarden
Level 1
Level 1

We have CUCM/UC integration and our remote sites each have CUE. All are at 8.6

On a Forward No Answer, I would like to send the call directly to a specific mailbox on CUE. Everything I have tried so far gives me a CUE error message "There is no mailbox associated...."

I have a DN - 1111

Forward No Answer on 1111 goes to a translation pattern - 2222

2222 has a Called Party Transform Mask - 3333

I see on the display of my phone that I am calling 1111. After a few rings the display shows 3333. After ringing 3333 a few times I get the error message above.

If I dial 3333 directly, I get the mailbox as expected. Any ideas on how to make this work? And if I get this working, I would then like to send it to *3333 so it goes directly to the mailbox without ringing.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, CUE is looking for mailbox 1111 (assuming I understand your call flow). The translation pattern in CUCM will not overwrite RDNIS info and you have forwarded the call from 1111, so the only RDNIS element is for that line. As Rob points out (+5 Huff) you can configure CUE to use either Original Called or Last Redirected number when choosing the mailbox greeting.

My understanding of your scenario is that you want calls to 1111 that are forwarded to VM to actually hit the 3333 mailbox greeting. You could do this by keeping LRD option on CUE and then have 1111 forward to 3333 and have 3333 CFA to VM. Now, if I assume that 3333 is a production line that you don't want to CFA then you can use 3333 in a different partition. Let's play out an example:

1111/Phones_PT  : Configured to CFNA/CFB to 3333 using Cfwd_CSS

Cfwd_CSS : A CSS that has one partition, Cfwd_PT

3333/Phones_PT : Your standard line appearance for 3333, don't touch

3333/Cfwd_PT  : A DN configured on a CTI Route Point (or other "dummy" device) and provisioned to CFA to VM using the CUE VM Profile

If you are using LRD option in CUE (as Rob mentioned) then the above should land your call on the correct VM box. I haven't mucked with this myself and my lab is currently provisioned with CUE integrated to CME. Not the same environ at all.

You also asked about the ability to target a transfer of an active call to a specific voice mailbox. Which may be how you got into testing 1111 and 3333 in the first place. You can achieve this using the following approach. Again, a simplified example:

1000 / Phones_PT  : Any line/DN in your production environment. May or may not have VM on the CUE system

2000 / Phones_PT : A line/DN in your production environment that has a VM on CUE and (as it happens) the mailbox you want to transfer calls to.

*XXXX / Services_PT : A translation pattern in a partition that the phone associated with 1000/Phones_PT can "see" (via CSS on the device and/or line).

XXXX / VMTransfer_PT : A CTI RP (or other non-registered device) that is configured to CFA to VM (using CUE VM profile).

VMTransfer_CSS : A CSS that only sees the VMTransfer_PT

PSTN caller 2025551234 calls 1000/Phones_PT and has a nice conversation before the user of 1000/Phones_PT determines that the user at 2000/Phones_PT would be the right contact person. The 1000/Phones_PT user wishes to transfer the PSTN caller to VM box 2000. They hit the transfer key, dial *2000, and hang up (or press Transfer key a second time if the CM Service Params haven't been adjusted). The PSTN caller gets the greeting for 2000/Phones_PT user.

Call flow:

Phones_CSS resolves *2000 as matching *XXXX/Services_PT.  This translation pattern is provisioned to use VMTransfer_CSS and it strips off the leading asterisk. VMTransfer_CSS resolves 2000 as matching XXXX/VMTransfer_PT, which is provisioned to CFA to CUE vm profile.

The above works fine, have done it often. The challenge is fitting it into a production dial plan, which is why I typically recommend against the *XXXX VM transfer paradigm that a lot people tend to use. Instead, I use a *NNxxxx model where NN is a "feature code" (like 09) and xxxx (or 5-d, 6-d, whatever) is the abbreviated dialing extension. This makes it easier to integrate a solution into an existing dial plan.

HTH.

-Bill (http://ucguerrilla.com)

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

please confirm

3333 is your mailbox , 1111 is your DN . You need to forward no answer calls to 3333.please clarrify

I was trying the translation pattern because I saw someone sugest it  in another thread. However, on CFNA I get the error message "There is no mailbox associated with this extension." even if I put 3333 in. I'm wondering if CUE is looking for a mailbox for 1111.

Yes, CUE is looking for mailbox 1111 (assuming I understand your call flow). The translation pattern in CUCM will not overwrite RDNIS info and you have forwarded the call from 1111, so the only RDNIS element is for that line. As Rob points out (+5 Huff) you can configure CUE to use either Original Called or Last Redirected number when choosing the mailbox greeting.

My understanding of your scenario is that you want calls to 1111 that are forwarded to VM to actually hit the 3333 mailbox greeting. You could do this by keeping LRD option on CUE and then have 1111 forward to 3333 and have 3333 CFA to VM. Now, if I assume that 3333 is a production line that you don't want to CFA then you can use 3333 in a different partition. Let's play out an example:

1111/Phones_PT  : Configured to CFNA/CFB to 3333 using Cfwd_CSS

Cfwd_CSS : A CSS that has one partition, Cfwd_PT

3333/Phones_PT : Your standard line appearance for 3333, don't touch

3333/Cfwd_PT  : A DN configured on a CTI Route Point (or other "dummy" device) and provisioned to CFA to VM using the CUE VM Profile

If you are using LRD option in CUE (as Rob mentioned) then the above should land your call on the correct VM box. I haven't mucked with this myself and my lab is currently provisioned with CUE integrated to CME. Not the same environ at all.

You also asked about the ability to target a transfer of an active call to a specific voice mailbox. Which may be how you got into testing 1111 and 3333 in the first place. You can achieve this using the following approach. Again, a simplified example:

1000 / Phones_PT  : Any line/DN in your production environment. May or may not have VM on the CUE system

2000 / Phones_PT : A line/DN in your production environment that has a VM on CUE and (as it happens) the mailbox you want to transfer calls to.

*XXXX / Services_PT : A translation pattern in a partition that the phone associated with 1000/Phones_PT can "see" (via CSS on the device and/or line).

XXXX / VMTransfer_PT : A CTI RP (or other non-registered device) that is configured to CFA to VM (using CUE VM profile).

VMTransfer_CSS : A CSS that only sees the VMTransfer_PT

PSTN caller 2025551234 calls 1000/Phones_PT and has a nice conversation before the user of 1000/Phones_PT determines that the user at 2000/Phones_PT would be the right contact person. The 1000/Phones_PT user wishes to transfer the PSTN caller to VM box 2000. They hit the transfer key, dial *2000, and hang up (or press Transfer key a second time if the CM Service Params haven't been adjusted). The PSTN caller gets the greeting for 2000/Phones_PT user.

Call flow:

Phones_CSS resolves *2000 as matching *XXXX/Services_PT.  This translation pattern is provisioned to use VMTransfer_CSS and it strips off the leading asterisk. VMTransfer_CSS resolves 2000 as matching XXXX/VMTransfer_PT, which is provisioned to CFA to CUE vm profile.

The above works fine, have done it often. The challenge is fitting it into a production dial plan, which is why I typically recommend against the *XXXX VM transfer paradigm that a lot people tend to use. Instead, I use a *NNxxxx model where NN is a "feature code" (like 09) and xxxx (or 5-d, 6-d, whatever) is the abbreviated dialing extension. This makes it easier to integrate a solution into an existing dial plan.

HTH.

-Bill (http://ucguerrilla.com)

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Travis,

I think you are on the right track setting the mailbox

as 1111

For CUE;

**Mailbox selection (OCN or LRD) in your case use OCN

This configurable option specifies the mailbox to be used in case of call forward.

Mailbox  selection: Mailbox in which an incoming voice message is stored. The  options are original called number (OCN) or the last redirected number  (LRD). LRD is the default option:)

Check out Page 88 of this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity_exp/rel2_3/cliadmin/cuecli23.pdf

Cheers!

Rob

"Clocks go slow in a place of work
Minutes drag and the hours jerk" 

-The Clash

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Bill,

Your answer is superb...as usual my friend! +5 for sure

Cheers!

Rob

"Clocks go slow in a place of work
Minutes drag and the hours jerk" 

-The Clash

Thanks for the great explanations. I'll follow up once I get it running.

Ok, I got it working and it was pretty simple once I found a mistake. I had to wrong Voice Mail profile on 1111. Once I set it to the correct CUE it worked and rang 3333. I then changed CFNA to *3333 and that sent the call directly to voicemail.

I did try the CTI routepoint at first. I got that mostly working and then discovered the error I just mentioned. I then tested sending to the DN instead of the route point and when that worked I decided to delete the route point.

Thanks again for the great suggestions and hopefully this will be useful to others too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: